If you are a fan of guacamole I am confident you will like this Avocado Ricotta Toast recipe. I am a huge fan of avocado, whether mashed, sliced or chopped, in both savoury and sweet dishes (see my recent Chilli Chocolate Avocado Dessert), and in particular guacamole, which is the basis for this recipe. This recipe, however, is not a dip as the ingredients are chopped rather than mashed. Plus I’ve added ricotta, which binds all the ingredients together and creates a more satisfying dish.
This Avocado Ricotta Toast is great for breakfast or as a healthy, satisfying snack anytime, including being an ideal after-school snack (this recipe got 2 thumbs up from my children!) – it’s a great way to get your kids to eat more vegetables. The avocado mixture tastes delicious with any bread really so use your favourite (I like to use brown, seeded or rye).
This is a fabulously convenient and easy to make recipe and can be put together in about 10 minutes. If you are really pressed for time, however, you can make the avocado mixture ahead and store in the fridge, in a bowl covered with cling film, for up to 5-6 hours – it may not taste as fresh if you store it for longer.
When you are ready to serve it spoon a desired amount of the avocado mixture on your toast, scatter some black sesame seeds or chia seeds on top – it will add extra goodness and more of a dramatic look to your morning toast – and enjoy!
Yields 4 portions
10 minPrep Time
10 minTotal Time
- 2 medium avocados (ripe but firm), finely chopped
- 5 tablespoons ricotta
- 4 tablespoons lime juice
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil (I used rapeseed)
- 1 large shallot, finely chopped
- A handful of coriander (cilantro), finely chopped
- 1/2 garlic clove, crushed
- Sea salt and pepper to taste and black sesame or chia seeds for sprinkling on top
- Your choice of bread (I used rye but you can use any)
- In a large bowl combine all the ingredients (not the seeds), stir thoroughly, adjust the seasoning as necessary and spoon a desired amount on a slice of toast. Sprinkle sesame or chia seeds on top and enjoy!
- Keep any unused amount of the mixture in the fridge, in a bowl covered with cling film, for up to 5-6 hours.