I am adding this Beet Greens Vegetable Soup to Recipe Redux, which this month has challenged its members to create a recipe showing how they reduce food waste – in celebration of Earth Day tomorrow. When it comes to unwanted, perhaps not very pretty or popular vegetables or bits of vegetables we usually toss putting them in a soup is a very effective way of using them up, giving them a new life and reducing waste.
It surprises me that, while so many green leafy vegetables, such as chard and kale, are valued for their high nutritional content and taste, and are widely available, beetroot is almost always sold without its greens, which are very healthy and tasty. I wonder what happens to the greens? Once the beet greens are chopped off they wilt quite quickly, which is perhaps the reason they aren’t sold separately.
I was lucky enough the other day to find beetroot with its greens still attached to it and grabbed two large bunches! I’ll be able to cook several dishes with it! I can cook vegetarian borscht using just the beetroot (see the recipe < HERE >), but I can also make borscht using the beet greens in addition to the beetroot. If you find this idea appealing just add more water and seasoning to the borscht recipe and it should be fine.
Or you can cook this Beet Greens Vegetable Soup, made with lots of vegetables in addition to the beet greens, but without the beetroot (I am saving it for another recipe). This soup does require a fair bit of chopping but it’s really worth it in the end, I promise! The beet greens have a slightly bitter, nutty, earthy flavour, which is really delicious in this refreshing spring vegetable soup (remember to use the stems as well as the leaves!).
If you like this recipe you might also like my Beetroot Summer Soup Chlodnik, posted a few months ago.
20 minPrep Time
30 minCook Time
50 minTotal Time
- Beet greens from 4 beets (leaves and stems), rinsed thoroughly, finely chopped
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 small leek, thinly sliced
- 1/2 celery stalk, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1 large carrot, peeled, grated
- 4 medium potatoes, peeled, cubed
- 2 tablespoons each dill and parsley, finely chopped (without the hard stems)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 allspice, whole
- 2/3 tablespoon coarse sea salt, plenty of pepper
- 4-5 cups hot water
- In a large pot heat up the oil, add the bay leaf, allspice, garlic, onion, leek and celery, stir and cook over a medium heat for 2 minutes stirring often.
- Add the beet greens and carrot and continue cooking for another couple of minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the potatoes, seasoning, water and stir. Cover, bring to boil, then lower the heat to a simmer and cook for approximately 25-30 minutes. Add the parsley and dill 20 minutes into the cooking.