I can’t imagine Easter without devilled eggs and this year I am making Beetroot Lemon Devilled Eggs. This is an incredibly simple recipe to put together and a fabulous addition to your #Easter menu. Beetroot is probably my favourite vegetable in the whole wide world (I might have said that in the past:) – I love its sweet earthy flavour as well as its rich deep ‘beetroot’ colour. And I don’t mind that it stains everything it touches (but if you do you can either wear rubber gloves when handling beetroot or just rub your hands with the piece of lemon you’ve used the juice of in this recipe, and the stains should fade).
This recipe has very few ingredients, and for best results I think it’s important to use all of them. The lemon zest works exceptionally well with the beetroot so I recommend using it in addition to the lemon juice. If you are not a huge fan of pistachios then use chopped almonds or hazelnuts instead for a bit of crunch. I personally like pistachios in this recipe mainly for their vibrant green colour which looks quite pretty against the dark beetroot background. Another way of adding a bit of green to this dish is by placing the egg halves on a bed of leaves and scattering chives over them.
These eggs are very quick and easy to prepare once you’ve boiled the beetroot and eggs, so I recommend doing this ahead (keep them in the fridge until you are ready to use them) to save time.
Without further ado I give you Beetroot Lemon Devilled Eggs!
More #Easter recipes in the next few posts so do come back soon:)
In the meantime take a look at my other devilled eggs recipes.
This recipe was shared with Cook Blog Share (hosted by Hijacked by Twins and Easy Peasy Foodie) and Fiesta Friday which I am happy to be co-hosting with Diann from Of Goats and Greens this week. Join the party, share your culinary adventures and see what everyone else has brought to the party this week! Don’t forget to include links to Fiesta Friday, this blog as well as Diann’s blog in your post for a chance to be featured next week. Diann and I will visit and share your lovely recipes on various social media:)
Yields 12 devilled eggs
20 minPrep Time
20 minTotal Time
- 6 large eggs, hard boiled
- 1 large beetroot
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice and zest of 1 lemon
- 1 tablespoon Skyr (or Greek yogurt or quark)
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt and plenty of pepper
- 1 tablespoon chives, finely chopped (plus more for garnish)
- Crushed pistachios for garnish
- Boil the beetroot whole for 20-25 minutes (it should still be quite firm after cooking). Drain off the water, let the beetroot cool a little, then peel and chop it roughly.
- Peel the hard boiled eggs and cut in half lengthways. Separate the yolks, combine with the beetroot and puree. Add the lemon juice and zest, Skyr, chives, season and stir well, adjust seasoning as necessary and spoon the mixture into the egg halves.
- Sprinkle with more chives and a handful of pistachios and enjoy!
The time needed to boil the beetroot is not included in preparation time.