To celebrate National Vegetarian Week I’ve made this sweet and zesty Beetroot Zucchini Apple Ribbon Salad with Pecans and Maple Vinaigrette. If you love to use a spiralizer you will really enjoy making beautiful decorative ribbons out of the beetroot and the zucchini (courgette). You can really show off your spiralizing skils with this recipe! And if you aren’t partial to chopping then this salad is ideal for you as the only ingredients that are chopped are the pecans and the apple (though you can spiralize the apple if you prefer – more on that below).
Generally speaking I am not a huge fan of kitchen gadgets and prefer to stick to uncomplicated instruments such as knife, peeler or grater. In this recipe, however, I used a spiralizer as well as an apple corer. I think using a spiralizer can really lift a salad, especially one that has few ingredients, such as this one – although it’s simple it makes an impressive looking starter (thanks to the spiralizer). The apple corer makes things easier regardless if you spiralize or cube the apple (I prefer the latter as it makes for a more interesting texture in the salad).
So why do I think it’s a good idea to cook the beetroot in this recipe? The beetroot is cooked briefly (with the skin on as it’s tastier that way) so it’s still firm but not quite as hard as raw. It’s not only easier to spiralize but it matches the other ingredients’ texture.
As for the apple, ideally it should be a little sour though not necessarily Granny Smith – just use a variety that’s available where you live. My choice of herb for this recipe is chives, though again, that’s flexible and coriander (cilantro) or parsley will do just fine.
The beetroot can be cooked ahead, which will make this salad super quick to assemble (once the beetroot has cooled keep it covered in the fridge until you are ready to make the salad).
This recipe was shared with #CookBlogShare, the friendliest link party around! hosted this week by Jacqui from Recipes Made Easy. See what my other co-hosts Kirsty at Hijacked by Twins and Eb at Easy Peasy Foodie have been cooking this week:)
This recipe was also shared with Meat Free Mondays
25 minPrep Time
25 minTotal Time
- 1 large beetroot, unpeeled
- 1 small/medium zucchini (courgette)
- 1 Granny Smith apple (or other similar variety)
- 1/2 cup toasted pecans, roughly chopped
- For the Vinaigrette:
- 1.5 tablespoons maple syrup
- 3 - 3.5 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons good quality vegetable oil (I used rapeseed)
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1/3 teaspoon ginger powder
- Sea salt and pepper to taste
- Chives for garnish
- Boil the beetroot whole in for about 10 minutes (bring to boil first). Drain, leave to cool and peel. Using a spiralizer make beetroot ribbons.
- Make courgette ribbons.
- Remove the core from the apple and either cube or spiralize it into ribbons (no need to peel the apple). Place all the salad ingredients on a large plate.
- Combine all the dressing ingredients and drizzle over the salad. Season to taste, scatter toasted pecans and chives over the whole thing and serve immediately.
Preparation time includes cooking and cooling the beetroot.