The pancake ‘season’ continues and today on the blog a seriously savoury breakfast pancake recipe idea – Chia Pancakes with Avocado Sauce and Bacon. All the ingredients used in this recipe are actually quite typical breakfast ingredients, though not necessarily always used together, but I think they create a great combination of flavours – salty, sweet, fruity and spicy (if you choose to be generous with the cayenne pepper).
A few words about the pancakes. I was determined to make them as fluffly as possible (in case the addition of the chia seeds was going to affect that). I sifted together the dry ingredients (flour, baking powder and soda) before adding them to the batter. I made sure I stopped stirring when the pancake mixture was still a little lumpy (the temptation to make it silky smooth can be hard to resist), only removing the larger lumps. I actually made another small batch of these pancakes using a very smooth batter (to test the theory that ‘not overstirring is better’) which produced pretty flat, not very fluffy pancakes. Which in turn confirms that it’s best not to overstir the pancake batter.
I used quark in both the pancake recipe and the avocado sauce. I find quark on its own a little difficult to really enjoy but love using it with other ingredients, both raw and cooked (my instinct tells me quark is partly responsible for the light and fluffy texture of these pancakes, but I can’t be certain). In addition to quark I used coconut milk in the avocado sauce to add some sweetness to it, but you can also give the sauce a bit of bite – adjust the amount of spice according to your individual taste.
Serve these Chia Pancakes with crispy bacon, a generous helping of the avocado sauce and a scatter of pomegranate seeds. Enjoy!
You may also like Apple Pie Healthy Pancakes
Yields 14 pancakes
5 minPrep Time
15 minCook Time
20 minTotal Time
- For the pancakes:
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons quark
- 2/3 cup milk
- 1 heaped tablespoon chia seeds
- 2/3 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/3 teaspoon baking soda
- Good pinch of salt
- For the avocado sauce:
- 1 large avocado
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- 4 tablespoons quark
- Salt, cayenne pepper and onion powder to taste
- Olive oil for frying
- Sift together the flour, baking powder and soda. Set aside.
- Whisk the egg with the quark until the mixture is silky smooth. Add the milk, chia and a pinch of salt, stir well to combine. Add the flour mixture and combine (using a whisk or large spoon) until the flour is no longer visible and the mixture is still a little lumpy - get rid of the larger lumps only and DO NOT overstir.
- To make the avocado sauce peel and chop the avocado (discard the seed) and puree with the other sauce ingredients (including the seasoning - make it as spicy as you like). Set aside.
- Heat up a little oil (1 tablespoon per batch) in a pancake pan and spoon the mixture onto it without overcrowding the pan. Fry the pancakes over a low heat for 1.5 - 2 minutes on each side (turn the pancakes over when bubbles start forming on top, without letting the pancakes brown too much).
- Serve with crispy bacon (I used streaky bacon) and a scatter of pomegranate seeds. Makes 14 pancakes.