I created this Chicken Pineapple Tenderstem Broccoli Wraps recipe for the Healthy Recipe Challenge hosted by Fiesta Friday. The recipe had to include pineapple and one leafy green vegetable. I knew straight away that I wanted to grill the pineapple but it was a while before I figured out what my leafy vegetable would be. All green leafy vegetables are healthy so it was a difficult decision, but as I scoured the internet for ideas I came across tenderstem broccoli and that elusive word ‘superfood’ written next to it. So it just had to be THAT vegetable. I made a wrap recipe because everyone loves wraps! At least everyone in my house does.
The chicken is briefly marinated in a mildly spicy mixture (very uncomplicated), which works really well with the sweet and sour grilled pineapple, sweet and earthy tasting tenderstem broccoli and refreshing avocado mixture. If you aren’t a huge fan of tenderstem broccoli on its own perhaps combining it with other ingredients might make it more pallatable (my own children tend to avoid this vegetable whenever possible but found it ‘alright’ in these wraps). Do remember to only boil it for 1-2 minutes (you can dip it in icy water afterwards to stop the cooking process if you like) – it will be firm and bright green and retain maximum flavour.
Enjoy these super healthy wraps for lunch or dinner (with some salad or potato/rice if you want a more substantial meal) or simply on their own.
Yields 4 portions
30 minPrep Time
10 minCook Time
40 minTotal Time
- Wraps of your choice (enough for 4 people)
- 600 g chicken breast, skinless, diced
- 2/3 pineapple (4 thick slices)
- 150 g tenderstem broccoli
- 1/4 cup olive oil (plus 1 tablespoon for the avocado mixture)
- 2/3 teaspoon each onion granules and cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt (plus more for the avocado mixture)
- 1 large garlic clove, crushed
- 1 large or 2 small avocados
- 3-4 tablespoons coriander, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon thick yogurt
- In a medium bowl combine the oil, onion granules, garlic, cayenne pepper and salt, add the chicken and stir thoroughly. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Fill a medium pot with 2 cm of water, add the broccoli, cover, bring to boil and simmer for 1.5 - 2 minutes. Remove from the heat, drain and set aside (place in a bowl to stop the cooking process).
- Remove the skin and seed from the avocado, chop up the avocado (you can mash it up a bit with a fork if you like), combine with the lemon juice, yogurt, 1 tablespoon of oil, coriander, salt to taste and stir thoroughly. Set aside.
- Heat up a griddle pan and fry the pineapple slices for 2 minutes on each side on a medium/high heat. Remove from the heat and chop up (discarding the tough middle bit from each slice). Set aside.
- Using a large non-stick pan (I used a pancake pan) fry the chicken on a medium/high heat for about 2 minutes on each side. Remove from the pan using a slotted spoon and heat up the broccoli in the same pan (in the juice from cooking the chicken) for 1 minute stirring often.
- Place a desired amount of each ingredient in a wrap, top with the avocado mixture, fold and serve.
If you liked this recipe you might also like my Spicy Fish Wraps with Tarragon