Today on the blog a classic side dish most of us can’t imagine Christmas dinner without (even if it’s not our favourite dish!) – brussel sprouts. With a twist, of course. My Christmas Sprouts With Cranberries, Chestnuts and Orange are sweet, zesty, nutty and filled with fabulous, fragrant Christmas flavours.
I am not a great fan of brussel sprouts and this recipe was an attempt to convinced myself that they can be turned into a great dish. I am glad I gave the sprouts a chance because they really do have potential! It turns out they don’t have to be mushy or bitter (as they so often are) and generally tired and boring. In this recipe they are sweet, tender but not overcooked, full of flavour (including a hint of orange, which for me is essential in festive cooking) and colour. I am particularly pleased with the fact that even after 20 minutes in the oven these sprouts still look bright green. There is nothing more satisfying for a cook than creating a dish that not only tastes great but also looks good!
As this recipe is almost vegan you can easily turn it into a completely vegan dish by replacing the honey with agave syrup or any other sweet tasting vegan alternative. I recommend soaking the dried cranberries in some sherry for about an hour before sprinkling them on the sprouts – the cranberries will be softer and it will add an even more festive character to this dish – but it’s not essential.
Enjoy your sprouts this Christmas:)
Click < HERE > for more Christmas recipes
8 minPrep Time
20 minCook Time
28 minTotal Time
- 350 g small brussel sprouts (or large, cut in half)
- 30 g sweetened dried cranberries (soaked in 1-2 tablespoons sherry for 1 hour)
- 80 g chestnuts, chopped
- 2/3 tablespoon honey (or agave syrup)
- 1 and 1/2 tablespoon olive oil (plus more for drizzling)
- Zest of 1 small orange
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 400 F/ 200 C/ gas mark 6.
- Combine the oil, honey and orange zest, stir and set aside.
- Place the sprouts in a shallow oven dish, drizzle with the honey mixture and stir carefully to coat evenly. Season with salt and pepper. Spread the chestnuts and cranberries on top, drizzle with more olive oil and bake for about 20-25 minutes (according to the size of your sprouts and personal preference)