This Grilled Pineapple Chicken Salad turns leftover chicken into a zesty, light lunch idea, perfect after the chocolate, cakes and roasts we’ve enjoyed during Easter. What I love most about having leftovers is that they can be turned into anything we want – they can be added to soups, stews, sandwiches, wraps, pasta or salads – the possibilities are endless.
Pineapple and chicken is a tried and tested combination (see my other recipe using these 2 ingredients: Chicken Pineapple Tenderstem Broccoli Wraps) that works well in pizzas or salads, alongside a range of other ingredients, many of which we tend to have in our cupboards or fridges.
I used tinned aduki beans in this recipe, but you can use any variety of beans, and chickpeas will do as well – I used dark coloured beans to create more of a contrast with the other ingredients. The choice of leafy salad vegetables is also quite flexible – I happened to have arugula, spinach and watercress in my fridge, couldn’t decide which one would work best and ended up using a combination of all 3, but you could use either one or a completely different vegetable if you prefer.
Adding a drizzle of walnut oil, which has a lovely subtle nutty flavour, and a few slices of avocado is a great way to serve this Grilled Pineapple Chicken Salad, but these toppings are optional (or you could use peanut or sesame oil instead).
Yields 4 portions
10 minPrep Time
5 minCook Time
15 minTotal Time
- 1 large pineapple
- 200 g chicken, cooked, roasted or grilled, roughly chopped
- 2 good handfuls rocket (arugula), spinach and/or watercress, chopped
- 1 tin (400 g) aduki beans, strained, rinsed (or other beans)
- 1 large or 2 small shallots, finely chopped
- 5-6 radishes, chopped
- Sea salt and plenty of black pepper to taste
- 5 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Walnut oil for drizzling and sliced avocado for garnish (optional)
- In a large bowl combine all the ingredients apart from the pineapple, walnut oil and avocado. Stir thoroughly and set aside.
- Cut off the stem and opposite end of the pineapple. Stand the pineapple up on one end and cut the skin off slicing downwards. Cut approx. 1 cm thick slices lengthways around the core (you should have 8 slices in total). Discard the tough core.
- Heat up a griddle pan and grill the pineapple slices for a couple of minutes on each side.
- Spoon a desired amount of the chicken salad on top of the pineapple, place avocado slices on top, drizzle with walnut oil (optional) and serve.