If you are looking for a different kind of salad that’s also quick to prepare then this Herring Mango Party Salad recipe might be it! Herring is not a typical salad ingredient so it was ideal for my non-typical salad! Herring dishes often include sour cream based sauces, plenty of onion, vinegar and are usually served as starters in Scandinavian or Slavic cuisines. I’ve also had herring with raisins and quite enjoyed it so I thought why not combine it with sweet mango!
This Herring Mango Party Salad is sweet, savoury and sharp, full of different textures from soft herring and mango to crunchy onion and pistachios. It is lively and vibrant, and sure to make an impression on the guests! Because the herring is quite salty there is no need to add extra salt, but you can adjust the seasoning according to your preference.
Without further ado I give you my Herring Mango Party Salad!
15 minPrep Time
2 minCook Time
17 minTotal Time
- 150 g herring fillet (in brine)
- 1/2 mango, peeled, finely chopped
- 1 small red onion, finely chopped
- 4-5 tablespoons coriander, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup pistachios, lightly crushed
- 5 tablespoons vegetable oil (I used cold pressed rapeseed)
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Zest of 1 lemon
- Pepper to taste
- Rinse the herring (to get rid of excess salt), pat dry using a paper towel and finely chop. Combine with the rest of the ingredients and stir thoroughly (leave some pistachios to sprinkle on top if you like). Serve with crackers or rye bread (I used rye Crispbread). Serve immediately.
Click < THIS > link for more party food ideas!