Who doesn’t have leftover turkey after Christmas? I do every year without fail. I always find it strange that the number of people at Christmas dinner doesn’t seem to make a difference when it comes to turkey – I always have leftovers! Which has its good and bad sides. The good bit is that there is no need to cook the next day. On the other hand, however, your family may not want to look at turkey for another year! Well, here is an idea of how to enjoy turkey leftovers as a refreshing and pretty un-Christmassy snack (or light lunch) the whole family will like.
These Leftover Turkey Lettuce Boats can make a satisfying meal (Christmas overindulgence is over!), without having to spend too much time in the kitchen (ideal on Boxing Day!). All you need to do is chop up a few ingredients, mix them together and serve in neat little lettuce leaves. Another big plus of this recipe for me is the fact that it uses raw vegetables, which is such a welcome change from the carrots and the sprouts and the parsnips of Christmas day, and in my case, also the beetroot and the mushrooms (the highlight of the Polish Christmas Eve meal). So today I am simply craving raw vegetables!
I’ve added sweet pomegranate seeds and refreshing coriander to my raw vegetable mixture, so it’s bursting with flavour and doesn’t even need much of a dressing – a drizzle of oil and lemon or lime juice will do. I recommend using cayenne pepper to add a bit of extra heat to this recipe! Enjoy these tasty Leftover Turkey Lettuce Boats as a snack, light lunch or party food idea!
10 minPrep Time
2 minCook Time
12 minTotal Time
- 2-3 gem lettuce, leaves separated
- turkey meat (any), sliced into long strips (2-3 strips per leaf)
- 3 small avocados, peeled, cubed
- 1 small red onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup pomegranate seeds
- 3 tablespoons coriander, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons lemon/lime juice for drizzling
- Salt and pepper (cayenne works well) to taste
- Place 2-3 pieces of the meat in each lettuce leaf. Set aside.
- Combine the avocado, onion, pomegranate and coriander, season and add the olive oil and lemon/lime juice. Stir thoroughly and spoon a desired amount into each lettuce leaf. Drizzle with more oil if you like.
To see more Party Food Ideas click < HERE >