Courgettes (zucchini) disappeared from the shops for a good few weeks (consequence of adverse wheather conditions in Spain, apparently) but now they are back! and I am very excited to share this post on How to Make Spiralized Vegetable Soup. When it comes to spiralizing vegetables courgettes are a great choice – they make a tasty and pretty alternative to ordinary pasta. In this recipe I decided to spiralize a few other vegetables for extra flavour, colour and texture – carrot, potato and celery root.
This soup is different from other soup recipes not only because it is made almost exclusively with spiralized vegetables (with the exception of the onion) but also because it cooks in only about 10 minutes. Spiralized vegetables cook very quickly so all you need to do is briefly fry them with the oil and the spices and once the hot water is added bring the soup to a boil and then simmer for only a few minutes. This is sufficient time for all the flavours to come together in a delicious broth while the vegetables remain firm (but aren’t raw). This veggie noodle soup is almost as convenient as instant noodles, but so much healthier and tastier!
This soup is vegan but you could serve it with a knob of butter or grated parmesan if you like. You can also replace the dill or parsley with your favourite herbs – vegetables taste great with virtually all herbs so the choice is yours. Another huge advantage of using spiralized vegetables in a soup is that it is just more fun to eat, which can make a big difference if you have fussy children. Veggie noodles are likely to be more appealing than vegetable soup with ‘bits’ in it!
If you like this recipe you may also like these other SOUP RECIPES.
This recipe was shared with Meat Free Mondays, What’s Cookin’ Wednesday, Fiesta Friday (co-hosted by Indian Curry Shack and La Petite Casserole) and Saucy Saturdays (hosted by Take Two Tapas, Mid-Life Croissant, The Flavor Bender and La Petit Chef)
12 minPrep Time
11 minCook Time
23 minTotal Time
- 2 medium potatoes
- 1 large courgette (zucchini)
- 1 large carrot
- Celery root piece (the size of a medium potato)
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 l hot water
- 1 heaped teaspoon salt and plenty of pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon each sweet and smoked paprika
- Fresh dill and/or parsley for garnish
- Peel and spiralize the carrot and celery root and place in a bowl. Spiralize the courgette. Peel and spiralize the potatoes, rinse in cold water and drain well (use paper towel to remove excess moisture if necessary). Place all in a bowl and set aside.
- In a large pot heat up the oil, lower the heat and fry the onion for about 3 minutes stirring often. Add the salt, pepper and paprika and stir.
- Add the spiralized vegetables and continue cooking for 3 more minutes, stirring all the time.
- Pour in the hot water, cover and bring to a boil, then lower the heat and simmer for about 4-5 minutes. Remove from the heat. Add the herbs, adjust the seasoning and serve (serving suggestions include a knob of butter or a bit of grated parmesan)