This Maple Glazed Celery Root Salad with Apple and Pecans owes its existence to a knobbly, gray and sad looking vegetable hardly anyone buys or attempts to cook – celery root (or celeriac). Well, I like a challenge so I bought it. As it turns out, this underdog of the vegetable world (currently in season) has more flavour than we’d expect (‘don’t judge a book by its cover’ springs to mind) and makes a delicious addition to an autumn salad.
That’s if you cut it into matchsticks, coat in a bit of maple syrup and roast in the oven for 20 minutes. I did just that and discovered just how delicious celery root can be. If you’ve never used this vegetable because it just looks so unappealing or because you had no idea what you could do with it do try this method, you’ll be surprised by the result! It was a spur of the moment idea and I really didn’t expect it to be such a success:)
I chose to also use apple in this recipe to create a truly autumnal salad (autumn is just around the corner and the air already smells differently than it did a month ago). The sourness of the apple and the sweet nutty flavour of the celery root are just delicious together so the dressing doesn’t need to be complicated – a mere drizzle of oil and lemon juice will suffice. Add a handful of rocket leaves (rucola), sprinkle some lightly toasted pecans on top and you’ll have a super healthy, sweet and nutty tasting autumn treat that’s bursting with flavour. This Maple Glazed Celery Root Salad with Apple and Pecans is better than dessert!
If you are looking for more Salad Recipe ideas you’ll find plenty < HERE >.
Yields 2-3 portions
25 minPrep Time
20 minCook Time
45 minTotal Time
- ½ large celery root (celeriac)
- 1 granny smith apple
- ½ cup pecans, lightly toasted
- 2 handfuls rocket (rucola) leaves
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon olive/vegetable oil (plus 2 more for drizzling)
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Sea salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 450 F/ 230 C/ gas mark 8. You will need a medium baking tray.
- Peel the celery root and cut into matchsticks. In a large bowl combine the maple syrup with 1 tablespoon of oil, add the celery root and season. Stir thoroughly until all the pieces are evenly coated in the maple mixture. Tip onto the baking tray and spread evenly in a single layer. Bake for 20 minutes.
- While the celery root is in the oven prepare the other salad ingredients. Combine the remaining oil with the lemon juice and set aside. Decore the apple and cut into thin wedges (or cubes).
- To assemble the salad place the rocket leaves, apple pieces, pecans and roasted celery root (hot or cold) in a bowl, season to taste, drizzle with the oil/lemon juice mixture and serve.
Preparation time includes the time needed to roast the celery root