If you still have got leftover mincemeat but don’t fancy another mince pie you can use it in this easy party food recipe – Mincemeat Banana Tartlets with Walnuts. I don’t often use readymade pastry but after a week of pretty intense cooking (i.e. last week) I feel I’ve earned the right to take a shortcut! Anyway I don’t think I would be able to produce handsome little tartlets like the ones in the photos (that’s Waitrose for you!).
I combined my leftover mincemeat with a banana (bananas weren’t popular in my house over Christmas so I’ve got a few very ripe ones at the moment) and some walnuts to offset the sweetness of the mincemeat and give these tartlets a bit of crunch. This recipe is very quick (the longest bit is cooling the mincemeat mixture, but just stick it next to an open window and it’ll be cold within minutes) and I like the fact that my festive ingredients won’t sit forgotten in the fridge (mincemeat) or cupboard (walnuts), as they inevitably would.
For more Party Food ideas go to < THIS > link.
10 minPrep Time
7 minCook Time
17 minTotal Time
- 200 g mincemeat
- 1 ripe banana, mashed
- 1/2 cup walnuts, lightly crushed (plus more for decoration)
- 2 tablespoons ground almonds
- 30 readymade tartlet cases
- In a saucepan combine the mincemeat and banana, bring to boil and simmer for 5 minutes. Set aside to cool.
- Add the walnuts and ground almonds and stir thoroughly. Spoon the mixture into the tartlet cases, place a walnut on top and serve. Yields 28 -30 tartlets.