If you are the type of person who often skips breakfast but cannot start the day without your morning coffee than perhaps you should try this Mocha Overnight Oats recipe – coffee and breakfast in one dish! Two birds with one stone! And since you prepare it the night before it saves time in the morning. So no more excuses – it is possible to have breakfast no matter how hectic your mornings are. Seriously though, this is a great recipe for coffee lovers. Busy coffee lovers!
Overnight oats are not only very convenient but when it comes to flavour combinations possibilities are endless. As it’s a breakfast dish it seemed perfectly sensible to add coffee to it. And since coffee tastes so fantastic with a bit of chocolate I thought it’d be a good idea to pair it with cocoa. I also used ricotta cheese to make these Mocha Overnight Oats creamy and rich tasting without adding too many calories (ricotta contains less fat than cream cheese, mozzarella and certainly much less than mascarpone, so think of it as a slightly more calorific yogurt). I only used 1 teaspoon of honey but you can add more (or replace the honey with agave syrup or even maple syrup) if you like. I like both black coffee and dark chocolate (the two predominant flavours in this recipe) so one teaspoon of honey was enough for me. Especially since I added chunks of banana and roasted hazelnuts to it, too.
I am a little bit in love with overnight oats and plan to post more recipes in the near future. If overnight oats is your thing too you might enjoy my Poppy Seed Overnight Oats recipe I posted a few weeks ago.
See my other Healthy Breakfast Recipes < HERE >
This recipe was shared with Saucy Saturdays
Serves 1 portion
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 1 teaspoon instant coffee
- 1/2 milk
- 1 level teaspoon cocoa powder
- 1 heaped tablespoon ricotta cheese
- 1 teaspoon honey (add more if you like)
- Combine the milk with the coffee and stir until the coffee is fully dissolved.
- In a bowl or jar combine the oats with the cocoa powder and stir thoroughly. Add the milk mixture, honey and cheese and stir thoroughly. Cover with cling film (or close the lid if you are using a jar) and leave in the fridge overnight. Makes 1 large portion.
- Serving suggestions: serve with lightly roasted crushed hazelnuts and/or chopped up banana.