For me curry dishes are some of the quickest and simplest to make (I am using a ‘loose’ definition of curry, one that involves using a selection of typical curry spices with vegetables and meat of choice), and this Petits Pois Tofu Vegan Curry is no exception. You don’t have to use too many spices to make a great tasting curry dish, just use as many as is needed to complement the other ingredients in your dish, which is what I’ve done in this recipe. And it works.
Using garam masala is an easy way of adding lots of flavour to a dish as it contains a great selection of aromatic spices, such as cinnamon, allspice, cardamom and several others. I combined it with a bit of turmeric and cumin (for a more intense curry flavour) and that’s all the spices you will need to make this recipe. The sauce takes under 15 minutes to cook and you can prepare the tofu (see the instructions below) during that time, which makes this Petits Pois Tofu Vegan Curry an ideal super convenient weeknight dinner (without compromising on quality).
Petits pois are wonderfully sweet and tender, perfect in this tomato based sauce (which has just the right amount of sourness as it contains some coconut milk, though not too much, to keep the calories down). I recommend adding the frozen petits pois (along with the tofu and coriander) to the sauce after it has been cooked – that way they will retain their sweet flavour.
Yields 4 portions
15 minPrep Time
15 minCook Time
30 minTotal Time
- 300 g tofu
- 1 cup frozen petits pois
- 1 can tomatoes
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 5 cm piece ginger, peeled, finely chopped (you should have 2-3 tablespoons of it)
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- 1 teaspoon coarse sea salt, plus plenty of pepper
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 1/2 teaspoon each cumin powder and turmeric
- 4 tablespoons coriander, finely chopped
- 5 tablespoons olive or vegetable oil
- Start by preparing the tofu. Drain it well, wrap in paper towel and squeeze gently to remove any excess water (you may have to use several paper towel sheets). Cube the tofu and season to taste. Heat up 2 tablespoons of oil and fry the tofu for a couple of minutes on a medium heat, carefully turning with a spatula, until it's lightly browned. Set aside.
- Heat up 3 tablespoons of oil, add the bay leaf, garlic, ginger and onion and fry on a medium heat for a minute stirring often. Add the garam masala, cumin and turmeric and continue frying for another minute or so stirring often.
- Add the tomatoes, salt and pepper, cover and simmer for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from the heat, discard the bay leaf and puree the sauce. Add the coconut milk (reheat the sauce if you have to at this point then take off the heat), coriander, tofu and petits pois. Adjust the seasoning if necessary and serve!
You may also like my Lightly Curried Vegan Beluga Lentils with Vegetables below