I have the feeling the pomelo season is coming to an end so I thought I’d make the most of it (before it disappears for another year) with this refreshing Pomelo Quinoa Smoked Salmon Salad. You can read all about the virtues of the pomelo in my Pomelo Oriental Salad post (from about 2 months ago), where I provide some basic facts about this fabulous fruit and talk at some length about my adoration of it (as well as complain about not being able to buy it throughout the year). Or you can just scroll down straight to the recipe.
If your New Year’s resolution is eating healthier than this Pomelo Quinoa Smoked Salmon Salad is ideal. It has no added sugar or ‘bad’ fats, only the ‘good’ ones (avocado, rapeseed oil, pistachios and salmon), fruit and fiber. And lots and lots of great flavour! It’s sweet and savoury, sour and nutty and spicy (I sprinkled mine generously with cayenne pepper but it’s delicious without being very spicy so you don’t have to use cayenne at all). It’s also quite filling (yet light) and can definitely be enjoyed as a meal – perfect for lunch.
It goes without saying that this recipe is very simple and easy to make especially if you cook the quinoa ahead (you can keep it in the fridge for a few days). Because this salad contains distinct and sharp tasting ingredients (such as the smoked salmon and the pomelo) the dressing is very basic – just some oil and lime juice.
Enjoy this wholesome delicious salad while pomelos are still here!
If you are a fan of Quinoa click < THIS LINK > for more recipes.
I am linking this recipe to Fiesta Friday which I am delighted to be co-hosting this week, along with Quinn from Dad What’s 4 Dinner. Joining Fiesta Friday is a great way to gain exposure and meet other bloggers so link up your recipes, comment on other posts, share the love and have fun! Be sure to link your posts to Fiesta Friday, this blog and Quinn’s blog too. We’ll do our best to comment and share your recipes:) Please read the Fiesta Friday rules on how to be considered for the featured selection every week. Hope you can join the party!
Yields 4 portions
15 minPrep Time
15 minTotal Time
- 1/3 pomelo, crumbled (peel and membranes removed)
- 1 cup cooked quinoa (you will need about 1/3 raw quinoa)
- 150 g smoked salmon, chopped
- 1 large or 2 small avocado, peeled, deseeded, cubed
- 4 tablespoons coriander, finely chopped
- 1/3 cup pistachios, roughly chopped
- 3 tablespoons lime juice
- 5 tablespoons good vegetable oil (I used cold pressed rapeseed)
- Salt and cayenne pepper to taste
- Cook the quinoa according to the packet instructions (this takes about 15 minutes). Set aside to cool.
- Combine all the salad ingredients (including the quinoa once cooled), stir thoroughly, adjust the seasoning and serve.