Have you ever cooked breakfast eggs in the oven? With these pretty little Potato Zoodle Breakfast Egg Nests you don’t have to worry about stirring, scrambling or flipping the eggs as they all cook to perfection in the oven, and all that’s left for you to do is prepare your morning coffee and toast. Making eggs this way is especially handy if you are cooking for several people – the proportions used in this recipe will make 6 egg nests but you can easily double the ingredients if you need to feed a larger crowd.
Despite the fact that you will need a spiralizer or similar gadget to turn the potatoes and zucchini into ‘spaghetti’, this is a pretty straightforward recipe and preparation time shouldn’t take more than 10 minutes. Once the spiralized potatoes have been dried (to get rid of any excess moisture and starch) and quickly fried (I used a large pancake pan to do this) they are combined with the zucchini and cheese and you are ready to fill your muffin tray with the mixture. It’s a good idea to break up the longer ‘spaghetti’ strands – makes it easier to combine the ingredients and it won’t affect the appearance of the final product. The nests will still come out of the oven perfectly formed.
This recipe is quite low in fat as I haven’t used any butter and there was no need to grease the muffin tray – the small amount of olive oil I used to quickly fry the spiralized potatoes was sufficient to prevent the nests from sticking to the tray. I did add cheese to the nest mixture but you can add less (or more!) or not use any cheese at all.
I hope these neat little Potato Zoodle Breakfast Egg Nests put a smile on your face and make breakfast a little bit less ordinary. Do let me know how they turned out if you make them:)
Check out this link for more healthy breakfast recipes.
And if you are looking for more recipes using a spiralizer click < THIS LINK >.
I am bringing this recipe to #CookBlogShare, hosted this week by Jacqui@Recipes Made Easy – hop over and join the party, you’ll find lots of summer cooking ideas there:)
Yields 6 portions
10 minPrep Time
15 minCook Time
25 minTotal Time
- 3 medium/large potatoes
- 1 medium courgette (zucchini)
- 6 eggs
- 60 g Cheddar cheese (or similar), grated
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Sea salt and pepper to taste
- To serve: chives, avocado, your favourite sauce, anything else you like at breakfast
- Preheat the oven to 400 F/ 200 C/ gas mark 6. You will need a 6-cup muffin tray.
- Spiralize the courgette, season and combine with the cheese in a large bowl. Set aside.
- Peel and spiralize the potatoes. Place on 2 sheets of paper towel and toss gently to get rid of excess water.
- Using a large non-stick frying pan (a pancake pan works well) heat up the oil and fry the spiralized potato over a medium heat for approx. 3 minutes, stirring all the time with 2 forks or tongs. Remove from the heat, season and add to the bowl. Mix well with the courgette (break the long 'spaghetti' if you have to).
- Fill the muffin tray with the mixture, pressing gently and ensuring there is a little more mixture around the edges than in the middle. Crack the eggs and carefully pour one by one into each nest ensuring the yolk is in the middle. Season and bake for 15-20 minutes (depending on how you like your eggs).
- Remove from the oven, run a knife around the edges of the nests and using a spatula take out the nests and place on individual plates. Sprinkle with freshly chopped chives, drizzle with your favourite sauce (ketchup works well) and serve with sliced avocados or simply on their own.