This Roasted Beetroot Spiced Chickpea Zoodle Salad with Tahini Dressing makes a satisfying yet light meal, perfect for this time of year. It does involve a bit of preparation – slicing, spirilizing as well as roasting – but I promise it’s worth the effort! In any case, it may sound very labour intensive but you won’t need more than 30 minutes to put it all together.
This salad can be enjoyed warm as well as cold – you can add the roasted beetroot straight from the oven or wait for it to cool before tossing with the rest of the ingredients. The same applies to the chickpeas, which are quickly fried with spices and can be used hot or cold. I’ve included several serving suggestions (see Ingredients below), one of which is feta cheese – this salad can be enjoyed as a vegan dish if you omit the feta and use maple or agave syrup instead of honey in the dressing.
It is up to you which of my serving suggestions you decide to use, though I have to say I’ve included a bit of each in my salad and was very happy with the result. They add complexity both in texture and flavour and go extremely well with the main salad ingredients. Courgette is a bland tasting vegetable and the coriander, feta as well as the spices really lift it, so I do recommend using all the suggested toppings, if possible.
One thing to keep in mind is that the chickpeas should be completely dry before being fried so that they get crispy rather than soggy in the frying pan – before you fry them spread them on a sheet of paper towel and pat dry. If possible leave them to dry for about 30 minutes and then wipe any remaining moisture with a paper towel.
If you enjoy creating dishes using a spiralizer check out some of my other ‘SPIRALIZED’ RECIPES.
If you like this recipe you may also like these LIGHT MEAL RECIPES.
I am bringing this recipe to #CookBlogShare, hosted this week by Kirsty@Hijacked By Twins. If you’ve got a recipe share it! The 4 hosts behind #CookBlogShare (I am one of them) will make sure it’s seen by as many people as possible:) Plus you can get featured next week!
Yields 3-4 portions
35 minPrep Time
35 minTotal Time
- 2 medium courgettes (zucchini)
- 3 medium beetroot
- 1x400g tin chickpeas, rinsed, patted dry with a paper towel
- Olive oil
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- ? teaspoon each ground coriander and cumin
- ½ teaspoon each cayenne pepper, onion granules and garlic powder
- Sea salt and pepper to taste
- For the Dressing:
- 1 tablespoon tahini paste
- 5 tablespoons lemon juice
- 5 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon honey (or maple syrup)
- To serve: chopped coriander, thinly sliced green chillis, crumbled/cubed feta, sesame seeds.
- Preheat the oven to 400 F/ 200 C/ gas mark 6. Peel the beetroot and cut into wedges (6 per beet), place in a single layer in a large oven dish, season, sprinkle with the ground ginger, drizzle with a bit of oil (approx. 2 tablespoons) and bake for 25 minutes, stirring halfway through.
- Combine all the dressing ingredients and set aside.
- Spiralize the courgettes and place on a large plate/bowl (or divide into 3-4 individual portions and place on separate plates). Spread the beetroot wedges (either hot or cold) over the zoodles.
- In a large frying pan heat up 1 tablespoon of oil, add the cayenne pepper, ground coriander, cumin, onion granules and garlic powder and stir. Add the chickpeas, give the pan a little shake so they get an even coating of the spices, and fry for 1-2 minutes over a high heat, stirring once in a while.
- Scatter the chickpeas over the beetroot, season to taste (optional), add toppings of your choice (see my serving suggestions above), drizzle the dressing over the whole thing and serve immediately.
Preparation time includes the time needed to roast the beetroot. The remaining ingredients can be prepared while the beetroot is in the oven.