I am starting the New Year with a pasta recipe that’s completely different from everything I’ve been cooking for the past 2 months. This spicy Roasted Pepper Oregano Pasta recipe is low fat, vegan and very uncomplicated. All you need is a few nice red bell peppers (you can also use yellow or green but I used red only as they are sweet and make the dish look more dramatic) and some simple sauce ingredients. I purposely didn’t use very much sauce in this recipe as I wanted to make the peppers the main focus.
My herb of choice in this recipe is oregano, which has slightly bitter notes – perfect for pairing with the sweet red pepper. I find that dishes containing oregano are also very popular with my children – my son said the pasta tasted like pizza (which is his idea of culinary heaven!). He didn’t even mind that it was spicy (that probably just reminded him of pepperoni, his favourite pizza ingredient). I was just happy he liked it!
I think the chilli tastes great in this Roasted Pepper Oregano Pasta recipe but you can add less to make it milder or not use any at all. This dish is also nice with a bit of cheese, if you don’t need it to be vegan. I enjoyed mine vegan, with a bit of salt and a generous amount of olive oil!
It was the perfect everyday healthy dish to welcome the New Year:)
I am linking this recipe to Fiesta Friday which I am delighted to be co-hosting this week, along with Quinn from Dad What’s 4 Dinner. Joining Fiesta Friday is a great way to gain exposure and meet other bloggers so link up your recipes, comment on other posts, share the love and have fun! Be sure to link your posts to Fiesta Friday, this blog and Quinn’s blog too. We’ll do our best to comment and share your recipes:) Please read the Fiesta Friday rules on how to be considered for the featured selection every week. Hope you can join the party!
Yields 4 portions
10 minPrep Time
35 minCook Time
45 minTotal Time
- Spaghetti for 4 people
- 4 large red bell peppers
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh oregano, finely chopped (or 1 heaped teaspoon dry)
- 1/2 teaspoon chilli flakes
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 tablespoons olive oil (plus more for drizzling)
- Salt to taste
- Preheat the oven to 400 F/ 200 C/ gas mark 6. Cut the peppers in half, remove the seeds and place on a baking tray (lined with tin foil) skin side up. Roast for about 30-35 minutes until the skin turns dark brown. Let cool a little, remove as much of the skin as possible and slice into long thin strips. Set aside.
- While the peppers are in the oven cook your pasta in salted water with the bay leaf. Strain, reserving the water, and set aside.
- In a saucepan heat up the oil, add the garlic, chilli flakes and onion and fry on a medium heat for 2-3 minutes, until the onion is tender (but not browned), stirring occasionally. Add the tomato paste, salt and 1/3 - 1/2 cup of water (from cooking the pasta) and cook for another minute. Remove from the heat, puree the sauce, add the oregano, season and combine with the peppers. Combine with the pasta and serve immediately (drizzle each portion with a little oil).