Today I have made a side dish and turned it into a soup – a roasted root vegetables soup. I am a big fan of roasted vegetables in general, but root vegetables in particular, as they come out of the oven looking vibrant, full of fragrance and sweet nutty flavour. This is exactly how I would describe this soup.
Every vegetable in this soup recipe is roasted (including the onion and garlic), which makes it a very uncomplicated, practical sort of dish – perfect for everyday healthy cooking. Once the vegetables have been roasted the soup itself takes only about 3 minutes to cook. This is as much (or perhaps even less) time that is needed to prepare an instant pot noodle soup (even the expensive upmarket variety!). Not only is this soup made from scratch and full of goodness, it is more convenient than convenience food!
If you are not a vegan , this soup tastes delicious with a knob of butter or a sprinkling of sharp cheese. I think a rustic, chunky texture works better than a puree and gives this soup more character, so I only used a potato masher to break up the vegetables a little, but you could puree it if you prefer. Season generously, garnish with fresh parsley and serve with a slice of dark wheat or rye bread!
Transfer the vegetables into a large pot, add the hot water, 1 teaspoon of coarse sea salt, pepper and turmeric. Cover, bring to boil and simmer for about 3 minutes. Remove from the heat, mash with a potato masher until the soup has a thick lumpy consistency, adjust seasoning if necessary, garnish with fresh parsley and serve!
Yields 6 portions
10 minPrep Time
35 minCook Time
45 minTotal Time
- 1 carrot
- 1 parsnip
- 1 large potato
- 1 medium sweet potato
- 1 onion
- celeriac chunk (about the size of a large potato)
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled, whole
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 bay leaves
- 2/3 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon course sea salt (plus some fine salt for seasoning the veggies), plenty of pepper
- 1 litre hot water
- Fresh parsley for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 425 F/ 220 C/ gas mark 7. Peel and chop all the vegetables into similar size (large) chunks (apart from the garlic). Place in a large bowl.
- Pour the oil into a large roasting tray, add the bay leaves and pop in the oven for 5 minutes.
- Remove the tray from the oven and empty the bowl of vegetables into the tray (hold the bowl with the vegetables close to the tray as you are doing it so you don’t get splashed with hot oil), season with fine salt and pepper and quickly turn over with a spatula to ensure all the pieces are coated in the oil. Pop back in the oven and roast for 30 minutes turning over half way.
- Transfer the vegetables into a large pot, add the hot water, 1 teaspoon of coarse sea salt, pepper and turmeric. Cover, bring to boil and simmer for about 3 minutes. Remove from the heat, mash with a potato masher until the soup has a thick lumpy consistency, adjust seasoning if necessary, garnish with fresh parsley and serve!