I think using a spiralizer in vegetable dishes gives them an extra special quality which chopping or grating or slicing could never provide (see my Spiralized Vegetable Soup). Spiralized vegetables cook very quickly, have a rich and delicious flavour (due to the fact that they cook so quickly) and generally lift the dish, no matter how simple (because they look so gorgeous). These Spiralized Carrot Wholewheat Noodles essentially consist of just that, i.e. carrot and noodles, and really wouldn’t be as appealing if the carrots were simply chopped.
This is not an Asian inspired recipe despite the fact that I used noodles and a wok. My original intention was to use buckwheat noodles, which, although delicious, are very expensive so I opted for a more affordable alternative – wholewheat egg noodles. I recommend using wholewheat rather than standard noodles, as they taste fantastic with the sweet carrots (in addition to being the healthier option). The reason for using a wok is simply the fact that it’s very effective in distributing heat quickly and evenly especially with large volume dishes (the spiralized carrots take up a lot of space).
The choice of oil is important in this dish as it’s not only used during cooking but is also added to the ready dish, so the flavour should complement the other ingredients without overpowering them. Olive oil has a very distinct, strong (usually) flavour so I chose extra virgin cold pressed rapeseed oil, which has a mild, pretty neutral flavour, perfect in this dish. It also happens to have half the saturated fat of olive oil (I am not a nutrition expert but this to me sounds like a good quality in oil, or it wouldn’t be advertised on the bottle) in addition to having a very high smoke point so it’s great for frying.
Why does olive oil always steal the spotlight? No idea.
This recipe was shared with What’s Cookin’ Wednesday, Fiesta Friday (co-hosted by Feast Wisely) and CookBlogShare and Saucy Saturdays (co-hosted by Take Two Tapas, Midlife Croissant, The Flavor Bender and La Petit Chef)
10 minPrep Time
5 minCook Time
15 minTotal Time
- 2 large carrots, peeled
- 2 wholewheat noodle nests
- 2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- 6 tablespoons extra virgin cold pressed rapeseed oil
- Zest of 1/2 orange
- 2 handfuls rocket leaves (arugula)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Walnut oil for drizzling (recommended)
- Boil the noodles in salted water according to packet instructions (only 5-6 minutes). Drain and set aside.
- While the noodles are boiling prepare the rest of the ingredients. In a small bowl combine 3 tablespoons of rapeseed oil with the orange zest. Set aside.
- Spiralize the carrots. In a wok heat up 3 tablespoons of rapeseed oil, add the garlic and carrot, season and fry over a medium heat for a couple of minutes stirring constantly (lower the heat if the garlic begins to brown too much).
- Remove from the heat, add the rocket leaves, noodles, pour in the oil and orange zest mixture and stir well to combine. Adjust the seasoning, drizzle with a bit of walnut oil (recommended) and serve. Makes 2 portions (as a main dish)