These Strawberry Ricotta Crepe Pancakes are my ‘sweetest’ recipe in the pancake ‘series’ (following my semi sweet Apple Pie Pancakes and quite savoury ones with Avocado Sauce and Bacon). Having said that I have tried to keep the amount of sugar down (only 1.5 tablespoons but you could use even less than that) so this is still a pretty healthy dessert. The filling is very simple, essentially consisting of quite a generous amount of strawberries and a little less ricotta cheese, which makes the whole thing thick and creamy (while still keeping the calories down).
So why did I call this recipe Crepe Pancakes rather than just Crepes or just Pancakes? Simply because this recipe could be both depending on which side of the ocean (Atlantic) we are on. While it would likely be called ‘crepes’ in Canada, for example, in the UK this would be a ‘pancake’ recipe (feel free to correct me if I am wrong, I am basing this conclusion on personal experience). ‘Crepe’ is a French word for a type of thin pancake-like pastry usually made without baking powder or soda, which is a pretty accurate description of my crepe pancakes, and which no doubt was introduced in Canada by its large French population. ‘Pancakes’ in Canada (and probably the rest of the North American continent) would generally refer to the thick type of pancake pastry, typically made with either baking powder or bicarbonate of soda, which in England are called ‘American pancakes’ (or simply ‘pancakes’).
These Strawberry Ricotta Crepe Pancakes are simple to make and tasty (and they are not really bothered whether you call them ‘crepes’ or ‘pancakes’) and perfect for Pancake Day breakfast (or Mardi Gras, depending on which continent … 🙂
Yields 5-6 large portions
12 minPrep Time
10 minCook Time
22 minTotal Time
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup flour
- 1 and 1/3 cup semi-skimmed milk
- Olive oil for frying
- 400 g frozen strawberries
- 250 g ricotta
- 1.5 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Fresh strawberries, chopped up, for garnish (optional)
- To make the pancakes combine the flour, egg and milk and whisk until the batter is smooth.
- Lightly grease and heat up a large pancake pan and ladle the batter onto it (tip the pan in a circular motion so the batter spreads evenly covering the entire surface of the pan and producing a thin pancake). Fry over a low heat for 1-2 minutes on each side until the pancake is lightly browned. Stack up the pancakes on a large plate.
- To make the filling combine the strawberries with the sugar and cook over a medium heat until the strawberries have thawed and a syrup has formed (about 5 minutes). Remove from the heat, add the ricotta and vanilla extract and puree. Add fresh strawberry pieces (optional) and serve.