Cabbage is a great vegetable whatever the season but I find its greener varieties are particularly suited for spring – a case in point being this Sweetheart Cabbage and Dill Salmon recipe. This is a light and quick to prepare dish that’s perfect as a weeknight family meal but would also make a great addition to your #Easter lunch menu.
This pointy cabbage, also known as hispy and, somewhat bizarrely – sweetheart cabbage (is it because it’s sweet or shaped a bit like a heart, or both perhaps?), I’ve used in this recipe, is more tender, greener and sweeter than the more popular white cabbage. This means that it cooks faster, looks more vibrant and adds more flavour to a dish. And it pairs extremely well with dill. And salmon tastes fantastic with both!
This Sweetheart Cabbage and Dill Salmon contains very few ingredients, which makes it a really quick and simple dish. Fish doesn’t need long to cook and the cabbage, precooked briefly on the stove top, retains its vibrant green colour, sweetness and crunch.
This is one of those dishes where less is definitely more – the 3 main ingredients: salmon, cabbage and dill, work together so well that there is really no need to add much more beyond the usual seasoning (I recommend white rather than black pepper) and a good drizzle of lime juice (another ideal ingredient to pair with salmon).
As always, I would love to know what you thought of this recipe, perhaps you’ve made something similar? so do leave a comment before you go, thanks:)
Don’t forget to come back in a few days for another spring/Easter recipe:)
Have a great sunny weekend!
Another spring time recipe you might enjoy: Potato Salad with Mustard Dressing
This recipe was shared with Fiesta Friday which I am happy to be co-hosting with Diann from Of Goats and Greens this week. Join the party, share your culinary adventures and see what everyone else has brought to the party this week! Don’t forget to include links to Fiesta Friday, this blog as well as Diann’s blog in your post for a chance to be featured next week. Diann and I will visit and share your lovely recipes on various social media:)
Yields 4 portions
10 minPrep Time
20 minCook Time
30 minTotal Time
- 500 g salmon, cut into pieces (I used 4), skinned
- 1 large sweetheart cabbage
- 2 tablespoons dill, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Juice of 1/2 lime
- Sea salt and white pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Place the salmon pieces on a large plate, season and drizzle generously with the lime juice. Set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 425 F/ 220 C/ gas mark 7. You will need a medium oven dish.
- Cut the cabbage in half lengthways and then each piece again in half lengthways. Slice each piece into approx. 1 cm thick strips.
- In a large pot heat up the oil, add the cabbage and cook for a couple of minutes over a medium/high heat stirring constantly. Add the dill, season to taste and continue cooking for 4 more minutes stirring often.
- Transfer the cabbage into the oven dish, place the salmon pieces on top (including the lime marinade if there is any left on the plate), pressing gently, put a few small knobs of butter on the fish pieces and cover the dish with tin foil.
- Bake for 20 minutes (±2 minutes, depending on how thick your salmon is). Serve with potatoes, a slice of crusty bread or simply on its own.