This vegan roasted sweet potato and spinach soup is gluten free, super easy to make and full of veggie goodness and delicious flavours. Once you’ve roasted the vegetables the soup itself takes less than 10 minutes to cook!
This delicious roasted sweet potato and spinach soup is one of the easiest and quickest soup recipes I have ever made! The sweet potatoes, along with the garlic, are baked whole before being added into the soup, which keeps cooking time to a minimum. This soup requires less than 10 minutes to cook!
Why did I roast the sweet potato and garlic
The main reason for baking the sweet potato whole is that none of its sweetness is lost. Roasted garlic also tastes sweet, which is important as it balances out the earthy flavour of the spinach.
Another advantage of baking the vegetables is that there is less chopping to do! Simply pop them in the oven for about 35 minutes, then scoop out the pulp and add into the soup.
How to make sweet potato and spinach soup
There is very little peeling and chopping involved so preparation time is short. Start making the soup shortly before removing the vegetables from the oven.
In a large pot heat up the oil, add the onion, roasted garlic, sweet potato, stir and fry for 3 minutes, stirring often. Then add the spinach, hot, water, seasoning, cover and bring to the boil. Then simmer for 5 minutes, remove from the heat and puree.
Enjoy your roasted sweet potato spinach soup with a drizzle of balsamic vinegar.
Easy meal prep tips
You can prepare the sweet potato and garlic in advance, which I recommend you do. It will really speed up preparation time. Simply roast them as per instructions, then allow to cool completely and refrigerate, covered, until you need them (for up to 3 days). Remove the skin just before you make the recipe.
The spinach requires no preparation – simply throw in the pot along with the rest of the ingredients.
This creamy nutritious soup is tangy, robust and very refreshing. Perfect on a hot day! Serve either hot or cold, topped with homemade croutons, pumpkin or sunflower seeds, almond flakes, a drizzle of olive oil or even some hard-boiled eggs! Enjoy!
More spinach and sweet potato recipes
You may also like this collection of over 12 creamy vegan soups.
Roasted Sweet Potato and Spinach Soup with Garlic
- 3 medium/large sweet potatoes choose long thin ones to shorten baking time
- 1 medium whole garlic head about 8 garlic cloves, the top sliced off
- 250 g fresh spinach
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 5-6 cups hot water
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 425 F/ 220 C/ gas mark 7.
- Place the sweet potatoes and garlic on a baking tray and bake for 35 minutes (or until they are tender). Remove from the oven, peel and chop the potatoes and squeeze the garlic out of the skin. This will be quite easy to do as both will be soft.
- In a large pot heat up the oil, add the onion, garlic, sweet potatoes and fry for 2-3 minutes, stirring often. Add the seasoning, spinach and water, stir, cover and bring to the boil. Then simmer for 5 minutes. Remove from the heat, puree and add the balsamic vinegar (or drizzle over individual portions). Serve either hot or cold.
Pin Roasted Sweet Potato and Spinach Soup with Garlic
Keep in touch!
Recipe Link Parties
I am sharing this easy roasted sweet potato with spinach soup recipe with This Is How We Roll Link Party.