These delicious amaranth chicken burgers are very low in fat yet are light and moist thanks to the addition of amaranth, a superfood that’s much less known than its ‘cousin’ – quinoa – though equally healthy (if not more) and versatile.
These amaranth chicken burgers are the most nutritious burgers I have ever made! In addition to the amaranth they contain lean chicken breast meat plus herbs and a bit of seasoning.
How to cook amaranth
Cooking amaranth for the first time was a disaster. I added way too much water which resulted in a sticky, runny, porridge-like mush. So the mixture ended up in the bin, I am ashamed to say.
What I didn’t know was that I could just rinse the amaranth after cooking it! Once it’s rinsed and strained it can be added to various dishes, including these simple amaranth chicken burgers.
To cook amaranth combine it with water (1 portion of amaranth to 2.5 portions of water), bring to boil, then simmer for 20 minutes. Remove from the heat and set aside for a few minutes while the amaranth absorbs the remaining water.
Then simply rinse under cold water, strain well and make these healthy chicken burgers!
You may also like these super healthy salmon amaranth burgers with radish slaw (see below).
How to make amaranth chicken burgers
In addition to being nutritious these burgers are also super quick and easy to make. All you need is a blender and about 25 minutes of your time from start to finish.
To make the burgers start by blitzing together the chicken, garlic, onion and parsley until well blended and sticky. Stir in the amaranth, 3 tablespoons of breadcrumbs and seasoning. Form the burgers and coat in the remaining breadcrumbs.
Fry in a little oil (about 3 tablespoons per batch) over a medium heat for 3-4 minutes on each side. The exact cooking time depends on the thickness of your burgers.
Can I cook the amaranth ahead
Yes, you can! Amaranth, much like quinoa, can be cooked ahead and, once cooled, refrigerated (for up to 3 days) until you are ready to use it. This makes preparation time super short.
If you have never tried amaranth I strongly recommend you do as it cooks quickly and is very nutritious. Definitely worth including in our diet, if only occasionally!
What will go well with chicken amaranth burgers
You may be interested in reading my post containing amaranth facts and cooking tips.
Check out also this collection of over 13 easy one pot chicken recipes.
Another amaranth recipe
If you like this recipe you may also like this turkey amaranth meatball bake with cauliflower (see below).
Amaranth Chicken Burgers
- 3 chicken breasts about 500g, diced
- 1 cup cooked amaranth rinsed, strained
- 2 garlic cloves finely chopped
- 3 spring onions/scallions finely chopped
- 4 tablespoons finely chopped parsley
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 3 tablespoons breadcrumbs plus more for coating
- Olive oil for frying
- Place the garlic, onions, parsley and the meat in a blender and process for a few seconds, until the mixture is well combined and solid.
- Add the amaranth and 3 tablespoons of the breadcrumbs, season and stir well. Form burgers and coat in the remaining breadcrumbs.
- Heat up a little oil (about 3 tablespoons per batch) and fry the burgers over a low/medium heat for 3-4 minutes on each side. Serve in a burger bun of your choice with fresh lettuce or this easy bbq sauce.
Pin Amaranth Chicken Burgers
Keep in touch
Recipe link parties
I am linking this healthy chicken burger recipe up to Brilliant Blog Posts.