This low in fat, sweet and zesty baked apricot chicken in horseradish sauce is a delicious one-pot dish that requires minimal preparation and only a handful of ingredients. Made using fresh apricots!
We are spending a few days in Wales this week enjoying the beaches, the weather, the castles and some seriously beautiful views. Naturally I haven’t really cooked much recently, but I did manage to make this simple baked apricot chicken recipe the day before we left.
Ready horseradish sauce vs fresh horseradish
I used shop bought horseradish sauce (sold in jars) to make my quick and easy sauce to go with the chicken. Using fresh horseradish would have been a lot more labour intensive. Besides, fresh horseradish is not easy to come by so it’s just more practical to use horseradish sauce.
It takes 10 minutes to prepare this baked apricot chicken recipe!
There is no need to cook the sauce beforehand. Simply combine the readymade horseradish sauce with the oil, honey, chopped garlic and lemon zest right in your oven dish. Give a stir and that’s all you have to do! Then add the chicken strips arranging them close together, coat in the sauce and tuck the apricot pieces in between. Lastly, drizzle the whole thing with a little oil and bake for about 30 minutes (± 5 minutes, depending on the size of your chicken pieces).
This easy chicken recipe is quite adaptable. You can use peaches or nectarines, or even plums instead of apricots. Freshly chopped mint goes extremely well with horseradish, in my opinion, but fresh basil or parsley would be suitable too.
What would go well with baked apricot chicken
Apart from traditional mashed potatoes, rice or pasta, this chicken recipe tastes delicious with roasted cauliflower rice tabbouleh. Try it also with roasted jerusalem artichokes or easy root vegetable noodles nests.
More easy chicken recipes using fruit
- Cauliflower Bulgur Wheat Casserole with Honey Chicken and Peaches
- Pumpkin Spice Chicken Tray Bake with Apple and Rooibos
- Grilled Chicken with Redcurrant Gravy
Check out also this collection of 13 healthy, easy one pot chicken recipes!
Baked Apricot Chicken in Horseradish Sauce
- 3 medium chicken breasts cut lengthways into 3 strips each
- 3 apricots deseeded, cut into quarters
- 3 tablespoons horseradish sauce
- 1 garlic clove finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil plus a little more for drizzling
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1/2 Lemon, zest only
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Fresh mint for garnish alternatively parsley or basil
- Preheat the oven to 375 F/ 190 C/ gas mark 5.
- In a medium oven dish combine the horseradish, oil, garlic, honey, lemon zest and stir to make a sauce. Place the chicken in the dish close together and coat evenly with the mixture.
- Tuck the apricot pieces in between the chicken strips, season, drizzle with a little oil and bake for 25-30 minutes. Garnish with freshly chopped herbs and serve!
Keep in touch
Recipe link parties
I am bringing this Apricot Chicken with Horseradish Sauce recipe to Simple and in Season.