Enjoy these healthy, dairy free Avocado Muffins with Raspberries & Lime for breakfast, brunch, as a snack or easy lunchbox idea.
Today on the blog zesty, dairy free Avocado Muffins with Raspberries & Lime. This is a different kind of muffin recipe, not only because it’s dairy free (I tend to use milk in my muffins) but also because it contains both fruit and vegetable.
I felt it was time to go beyond the commonly used muffin ingredients, such as chocolate, fruit and nuts and try something different. So it had to be avocado – one of the most versatile vegetables, equally delicious in salads, hot dishes, on toast, for breakfast, lunch and even dessert. And let’s not forget avocado in smoothies. How did we manage without the now ubiquitous avocado 20-30 years ago when it was still a pretty exotic vegetable you might occasionally buy to make a guacamole with.
These days you can make avocado muffins!
Dairy free avocado muffins
In this healthy muffin recipe I swapped milk for a cashew and water mixture. Simple. The combination of the cashew paste, avocado and lime juice, together with the raspberries, makes these muffins quite moist. (Which is why the time of baking is a little longer than the usual 25 minutes). Cashews are also naturally quite sweet so there is no need to use too much sugar in this recipe. The amount of sugar I used produces moderately sweet muffins so add a bit more or less to suit your individual preference.
Can you taste the avocado in this recipe?
So can you taste the avocado in these muffins? Yes, but the flavour is very subtle and it works really well with the zesty lime and raspberries. And thanks to the avocado there is a nice green tinge to these muffins which I like:)
More breakfast recipes using avocado
Avocado Muffins with Raspberries & Lime
- 1 medium avocado peeled, deseeded
- ½ cup cashew nuts
- 120 ml water a little less than half a cup
- Zest of 1 lime
- 3 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 cup frozen raspberries
- 170 g self-raising flour approx. 1 cup and a quarter
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 3.5 heaped tablespoons light brown sugar
- 1 egg
- ¼ cup vegetable oil I used rapeseed
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Demerara sugar for sprinkling on top
- Combine the cashews with the water and leave to soak overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 400 F/ 200 C/ gas mark 6. Line a muffin pan with 8 muffin cases. Set aside.
- Combine the flour with the baking powder and stir thoroughly.
- Puree the cashews (as well as the water) with the avocado and lime juice.
- In a large bowl beat the egg, sugar and oil until smooth and a little lighter in colour. Add the vanilla extract, lime zest and the avocado mixture. Stir thoroughly.
- Add the raspberries and flour mixture and stir only until the flour is no longer visible. Spoon the mixture into the muffin cases, sprinkle each muffin with a little demerara sugar and bake for 36 minutes. Remove from the pan and place on a cooling rack. Yields 8 large muffins.
Pin Avocado Muffins with Raspberries & Lime!
MORE BREAKFAST RECIPE IDEAS
Here you will find more easy, healthy and delicious breakfast recipes all in one place. There are ‘sweet’ recipes, savory ones, muffins, frittatas and more.
KEEP IN TOUCH
RECIPE LINK PARTIES
I am bringing these Avocado Muffins with Raspberries & Lime recipe to #CookBlogShare which I have the pleasure of hosting this week. If you’ve got a recipe join the party! If you are not a blogger check out the fantastic summer brunch recipe ideas featured this week:)