This delicious easy avocado toast with ricotta is a quick and nutritious savoury breakfast recipe idea. Also great as a healthy snack anytime!
If you are a fan of guacamole I am confident you will like this quick and easy avocado toast with ricotta. I am a huge fan of avocado, whether mashed, sliced or chopped, in both savoury and sweet dishes. (See my recent Chilli Chocolate Avocado Dessert). I am particularly fond of guacamole, which is the basis for this recipe.
This recipe, however, is not a dip as the ingredients are chopped rather than mashed. Plus I’ve added ricotta, which binds all the ingredients together and creates a more filling mixture, ideal to serve on toast.
Equipment you’ll need
Large cutting board and knife
Medium sized bowl and large spoon
How to make easy avocado toast with ricotta
This is a fabulously quick and easy to make recipe which you can put together in less than about 10 minutes.
1. Chop the avocado, cilantro and green onions/shallot, and combine with the crushed garlic, ricotta, oil and lime juice.
2. Season to taste and stir thoroughly.
Serving suggestions for healthy avocado toast recipe
Place a desired amount of the avocado mixture on top of your toast and scatter some black sesame seeds or chia seeds. It will add extra goodness and more of a dramatic look to your morning toast!
The avocado ricotta mixture tastes delicious with any bread really so use your favourite. (I like to use brown, seeded or rye). If you swap bread for crackers you can also enjoy this avocado ricotta mixture as a dip.
It’s delicious with chicken, turkey or salmon (especially smoked!) sandwiches.
Use ripe but firm avocado so it doesn’t get mushy when you combine it with the other ingredients.
You can make the avocado mixture ahead. Keep it in the fridge in an airtight container or bowl covered with cling film, for up to 5-6 hours. It may not taste as fresh if you store it for longer.
I used cold pressed rapeseed oil but you can use any good quality vegetable oil. If you prefer olive oil I recommend a mild tasting variety so it doesn’t overpower the other ingredients.
More breakfast recipes using vegetables
KEEP IN TOUCH
How has your toast with avocado turned out for you? Let me know in the comments below, thanks!
Easy Avocado Toast with Ricotta
- 2 medium avocados ripe but firm, finely chopped
- 5 tablespoons ricotta
- 4 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 tablespoons good quality vegetable oil
- 2 spring onions/scallions or 1 large shallot finely chopped
- A handful of coriander/cilantro finely chopped
- 1/2 garlic clove crushed
- Sea salt and pepper to taste and black sesame or chia seeds for sprinkling on top
- Your choice of bread I used rye but you can use any
- In a large bowl combine all the ingredients (not the seeds), stir thoroughly, adjust the seasoning as necessary and spoon a desired amount on a slice of toast. Sprinkle sesame or chia seeds on top and enjoy!
- Keep any unused amount of the mixture in the fridge, in a bowl covered with cling film, for up to 5-6 hours.