This dairy free quinoa banana bread is nutritious, full of protein, easy to make and bursting with banana flavour – it contains fresh bananas as well as banana chips. It makes a great healthy breakfast option, picnic food, easy lunchbox idea as well as snack anytime.
This quinoa banana bread is deliciously moist and fluffy, low in sugar and made using oil instead of butter. It only takes 10 minutes to prepare!
Healthy quinoa banana bread
There are countless versions of the classic banana bread recipe. Mine comes with a twist (as do my easy Baked Banana Wholemeal Bread with Sea Salt and Ginger Pear Banana Wholemeal Bread). This easy banana bread with quinoa is low in fat, high in fibre and protein and low in sugar. Most of the sweetness comes from the fresh bananas, as well as banana chips, which add loads of banana flavour!
I only added 2.5 tablespoons of honey and no refined sugar to the batter so this banana bread with quinoa is moderately sweet. Great for breakfast, snack or even as a healthy treat.
Prepping the quinoa
Quinoa cooks very quickly and, once cooled, can be kept in the fridge for 3-4 days. So if you cook it ahead you’ll save lots of time when making the actual recipe.
I am a huge fan of quinoa and use it in both savoury and sweet recipes. I love using quinoa in baking as it light and fluffy, contributing substance without stodginess.
Quinoa is low in fat and high in protein, so it’s satisfying yet low in calories – perfect for breakfast or snack recipes.
How to make dairy free banana bread with quinoa
Start by blitzing the banana chips until crumbly. Combine with the cooked quinoa, mashed banana and honey and set aside.
In a separate bowl combine the ‘dry’ ingredients.
Beat together the eggs and oil until fluffy, then pour in the banana mixture and stir. Fold in the flour mixture and stir just to combine. Pour the batter into a tin lined with baking paper and bake for 1 hour.
More quinoa bakes
If you are looking for more healthy bakes containing quinoa check out these low sugar Chocolate Muffins with Quinoa. You might also like these zesty Quinoa Breakfast Muffins with Lime and Sultanas. This gluten free Cherry Almond Crisp with Quinoa can be enjoyed for breakfast, brunch or as a healthy dessert.
Check out also this collection of 18 healthy, easy vegetable breakfast recipes.
Quinoa Banana Bread (Dairy Free)
- 2 large ripe bananas mashed
- 1/2 cup cooked quinoa loosely packed
- 2/3 cup banana chips
- 2.5 tablespoons honey
- 2 eggs
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil good quality
- 2/3 cup flour
- 1/2 cup ground almonds
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- Preheat the oven to 350 F/ 180 C/ gas mark 4. Line a medium bread tin with parchment paper.
- In a blender blitz the banana chips until they have the consistency of breadcrumbs. Combine with the mashed bananas, quinoa and honey, stir thoroughly and set aside.
- In a separate bowl combine the flour, ground almonds and baking powder and stir well using a whisk.
- Beat together the eggs and oil for a couple of minutes until fluffy. Pour in the banana mixture and stir thoroughly.
- Pour in the dry mixture all at once and stir until the dry ingredients are no longer visible. Pour the batter into the tin and bake for 1 hour.
- Remove from the oven and leave to cool in the tin for 5 minutes. Lift out of the tin (with the paper) and place on a cooling rack. Let cool completely, remove the paper and enjoy!
Pin Quinoa Banana Bread (Dairy Free)!
KEEP IN TOUCH!
RECIPE LINK PARTIES
I am bringing my easy, healthy banana and quinoa bread recipe to Recipe of the Week.