Enjoy these delicious no added sugar Healthy Banana Yogurt Pancakes with a drizzle of maple syrup and chopped bananas. They make a great weekend brunch idea!
My children love pancakes! And fortunately they are usually quite open-minded about new pancake recipes I come up with. Even if it means eating pancakes with turmeric! We tend to associate turmeric with curry recipes but it can be added to so many other dishes enhancing the colour as well as the flavour of the food.
I was surprised at how well banana and turmeric complemented each other in this healthy banana pancake recipe. Turmeric is very nutritious and I have recently been making a conscious effort to include it in my cooking, which is proving quite easy as it’s a very versatile spice.
Healthy banana yogurt pancakes
Pancakes are very easy to make so it makes sense to make them at home from scratch rather than use a ready pancake mixture. In addition to being easy to make, homemade pancakes don’t have to be full of sugar and other ingredients you may not want in your pancakes.
These pancakes do not contain any added sugar, which has been replaced by mashed ripe banana. And you can always serve them with a drizzle of maple syrup and chopped banana for extra sweetness.
(Another pancake recipe that’s been sweetened by a fruit are my Healthy Apple Cinnamon Pancakes).
I made these banana pancakes using yogurt, in addition to the milk. I tend to use yogurt in most of my pancake recipes, as it makes fluffier pancakes with a tiny bit of tangy flavour.
How to make banana yogurt pancakes
Start by whisking the egg with the yogurt until smooth. Add the mashed banana and milk, whisk to combine, then gradually add the dry ingredients: turmeric, baking powder and flour. Whisk until the dry ingredients are no longer visible.
Heat up a little oil (1 tablespoon) and drop spoonfuls of batter onto the pan. Fry the pancakes over a low/medium heat for about 1.5 minutes on each side. Drizzle with maple syrup, honey or top with fresh fruit and enjoy!
These healthy banana pancakes are so quick and simple to make they’ll be ready before your morning coffee has had time to brew.
Check out also this collection of 18 healthy, easy vegetable breakfast recipes.
Healthy Banana Yogurt Pancakes with Turmeric
- 1 ripe banana mashed
- 1 level teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 egg
- 3 heaped tablespoons yogurt Greek/Skyr
- 1/2 cup plain flour
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- A little olive oil for frying
- In a large bowl whisk together the egg and yogurt until smooth. Add the banana and milk and whisk to combine. Add the turmeric, baking powder and continue whisking while gradually adding the flour. Stop stirring when all the ingredients have been combined.
- Heat up a little oil (about 1 tablespoon per batch) and drop spoonfuls of batter onto the pan. Try not to overcrowd the pan. Fry the pancakes over a medium/low heat for 1 - 1.5 minutes on each side. Yields approximately 15 medium pancakes.
Pin Healthy Banana Yogurt Pancakes with Turmeric!
KEEP IN TOUCH
RECIPE LINK PARTIES
I am bringing this healthy banana pancakes recipe to What’s For Dinner? Sunday Linkup.