These decadent, low in sugar Beet Brownies with Coconut (Dairy Free) can be enjoyed as a healthy dessert or even snack. Simply cut into smaller pieces and enjoy little brownie bites.
Today I am sharing a recipe for easy, dairy free beet brownies with coconut. These veggie brownies make a delicious treat perfect for everyday as well as special occasion.
They can also be enjoyed as a snack – just cut the brownie cake into smaller pieces and enjoy little brownie bites.
Even though these healthy brownies contain a substantial amount of beetroot you won’t really taste it (unless you are a bit of a beetroot junkie:). So it’s a good way of getting your children to eat more veggies. Even my own children, who have learned to suspect every food item to contain something ‘healthy’ could not detect the presence of the beetroot. They simply enjoyed their brownies!
If veggie brownies is your thing you may also like these sweet potato chocolate brownies with pecans.
Dairy free brownies
These easy brownies do not contain butter and can be easily enjoyed as a dairy free treat if you use dairy free chocolate and chocolate chips. I used coconut oil instead of butter, not only to make this a #freefrom recipe but also because coconut pairs really well with both beetroot as well as chocolate. Having said that the coconut flavour is quite subtle in this recipe as I only used 20 g of desiccated coconut (in addition to the coconut oil).
Preparing the beetroot
Bake the beets whole, unpeeled in a preheated oven for about 45 minutes, until tender. Allow to cool then peel. Then simply chop the beets roughly, combine with the coconut and puree until smooth.
The beetroot can be baked ahead and, once cooled, refrigerated until you are ready to use it (best to use it the following day). Puree the beetroot when you are ready to make the recipe.
If you are a fan of beets and cocoa you might also like these beetroot chocolate muffins with chocolate chips.
How to make beet brownies
Once your beetroot-coconut mixture is ready the recipe takes minutes to prepare. Melt the chocolate with coconut oil and set aside to cool. Combine your dry ingredients. Then in another bowl beat the eggs with sugar and fold in the beet mixture and melted chocolate. Then gently fold in the flour mixture. Add the chocolate chips towards the end and pour the batter into your prepared tin. Bake for 25 minutes.
Any leftover brownies can be wrapped in cling film and refrigerated. They are best served warm so pop them in the microwave for a few seconds and enjoy the leftovers!
*NOTE: I usually prefer to use cacao rather than cocoa powder, as cacao is healthier, but it’s absolutely fine to use cocoa powder instead.
More veggie dessert recipe ideas
If you love vegetables, even in desserts you might also like this vibrant looking, exotic Mango Mousse Recipe with Sweet Potato. Try also these Healthy Chocolate Dessert Pots with Quinoa and Sweet Potato. Check out also this zingy Key Lime Cheesecake Pie with Avocado. Another easy healthy dessert are these Avocado Chocolate Dessert Pots.
Beet Brownies with Coconut (Dairy Free)
- 2 medium beets approx. 340 g, unpeeled
- 200 g dark chocolate 65-70% cocoa solids, use dairy free if preferred
- 100 ml coconut oil
- 100 g sugar
- 100 g flour
- 100 g dark chocolate chips use dairy free if preferred
- 3 eggs
- 20 g cacao or cocoa powder
- 20 g desiccated coconut
- Preheat the oven to 425 F/ 220 C/ gas mark 7. Place the beets on a baking tray and bake for 45 minutes. Remove from the oven, leave to cool, then peel. Chop the beets roughly, combine with the desiccated coconut and puree until smooth. Set aside. (you can bake the beetroot ahead and, once cooled, refrigerate it until you are ready to use it)
- Preheat the oven to 350 F/ 180 C/ gas mark 4. Lightly grease a 22 cm square baking tin, line with baking paper (see the photo) and set aside.
- Break up the chocolate, place, along with the coconut oil, in a bowl over a pot of simmering water (the water shouldn't touch the bowl) and melt, stirring often. Remove from the heat and take the bowl off the pot. Set aside.
- Combine the flour with the cacao (or cocoa) powder, stir with a whisk and set aside.
- Beat the eggs and sugar for 2 minutes. Stir in the beet mixture, then gradually pour in the melted chocolate (it will have cooled by then), stirring all the time with a spoon. Fold in the flour mixture (add the chocolate chips when almost all the flour has been mixed in). Stir only until the flour is no longer visible.
- Pour the batter into the baking tin, smooth out the top or give your cake a bit of a 'messy' appearance with the back of a large spoon (as I have done) and bake in the middle of the oven for 25 minutes. Remove from the oven, let cool in the tin for 5 minutes, then lift out of the tin with the paper and place on a cooling rack. Best served warm. Yields 9 large brownies.
Pin Beet Brownies with Coconut (Dairy Free)!
KEEP IN TOUCH!
RECIPE LINK PARTIES
I am bringing my dairy free beet coconut brownies to #CookBlogShare (the linky will go live tomorrow on Easy Peasy Foodie). Also sharing with Free From Fridays. Recipe of the Week, We Should Cocoa, Baking Crumbs, and Fiesta Friday. (This week’s co-hosts are Laurena @ Life Diet Health and Jhuls @ The Not So Creative Cook.