These vibrant, healthy beet deviled eggs with lemon make a delicious and pretty addition to any party menu, whatever the occasion. Great for Easter and beyond!
I can’t imagine Easter without devilled eggs and this year I am making beet deviled eggs with lemon. This is an incredibly simple recipe to put together and a fabulous addition to your Easter menu.
Beetroot is possibly my favourite vegetable (I might have said that in the past:). I love its sweet earthy flavour as well as its rich deep ‘beetroot’ colour. And I don’t even mind that it stains everything it touches. But if you feel differently you can wear rubber gloves when handling beetroot. Alternatively just rub your hands with a piece of lemon and the stains should fade.
How to make easy beet deviled eggs
There are different ways of preparing beetroot but for this recipe I chose to boil it whole. So start by boiling the beetroot. Once boiled, drain off the water, allow the beetroot to cool, then peel and chop it roughly. Then simply combine it with the egg yolks, add the remaining ingredients and puree. All that’s left to do now is spooning the mixture into the egg halves and decorating your deviled eggs.
These deviled eggs are very quick and easy to prepare once you’ve boiled the beetroot and the eggs. I recommend preparing these ahead (keep them in the fridge until you are ready to use them) to save time.
How to adapt beet deviled eggs recipe
This recipe has very few ingredients, and for best results I think it’s important to use all of them. Alternatively use suitable replacements. The lemon zest works exceptionally well with the beetroot. I recommend using it in addition to the lemon juice. If you are not a huge fan of pistachios then use chopped almonds or hazelnuts instead for a bit of crunch. I personally like pistachios for their vibrant green colour which looks quite pretty against the dark beetroot. Another way of adding a bit of green to this recipe is by placing the egg halves on a bed of leaves and scattering chives over them.
More easy deviled eggs recipes
Be sure to check out also my tips on How To Make Devilled Eggs.
Beet Deviled Eggs with Lemon
- 6 large eggs hard boiled
- 1 large beetroot
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice and zest of 1 lemon
- 1 tablespoon Skyr or Greek yogurt or quark
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt and plenty of pepper
- 1 tablespoon chives finely chopped (plus more for garnish)
- Crushed pistachios for garnish
- Boil the beetroot whole for 20-25 minutes (it should still be quite firm after cooking). Drain off the water, let the beetroot cool a little, then peel and chop it roughly.
- Peel the hard boiled eggs and cut in half lengthways. Separate the yolks, combine with the beetroot and puree. Add the lemon juice and zest, Skyr, chives, season and stir well, adjust seasoning as necessary and spoon the mixture into the egg halves.
- Sprinkle with more chives and a handful of pistachios and enjoy!