This vibrant roasted beetroot pasta sauce is low in fat and nutritious. It contains a handful of ingredients and is super easy to put together. Your mac’n cheese never looked this good!
Today on the blog a dish that’s not only quick to make it’s full of colour and flavour – roasted beetroot pasta sauce.
When it comes to quick and easy meals pasta is usually my first choice. It cooks in minutes and can be combined with a variety of ingredients, not necessarily including tomatoes. Or a heavy cheese sauce.
How to prep the beetroot
Beetroot can be prepared using different methods but for this pasta sauce recipe I decided to roast it. To speed things up I peeled the beets and cut into wedges before popping in the oven. I wanted the beetroot to cook quickly and evenly.
To make things even simpler I roasted the garlic along with the onion together with the beetroot. So after about 35 minutes in the oven the vegetables are pureed along with fromage frais into a rich and creamy sauce. Simply stir into your pasta and serve!
Can I substitute fromage frais with another ingredient
Yes you can! You could use (low fat) creme fraiche, which has a similar tangy flavour. Another good choice is ricotta cheese, which is naturally low in fat. Alternatively use a combination of ricotta and fromage frais.
What pasta would go well with beetroot pasta sauce
Absolutely any pasta! So use your favourite!
What to serve with beetroot pasta
This healthy pasta dish makes a great vegetarian lunch. I like to serve it with a handful of peppery, slightly nutty tasting arugula (rocket leaves), but any simple salad would do. Grilled zucchini, cooked or steamed broccoli (or better yet, broccolini), asparagus or green beans are also good choices.
You could also add a knob of butter or a bit of grated cheese to the beets sauce if you like. Strong cheddar or parmesan would work well.
Can I freeze beetroot pasta sauce
Yes, you can! Freeze in an air tight container for up to 2 months.
More vegetarian pasta recipe ideas
If you like this easy pasta sauce recipe check out also this collection of over 12 healthy vegetarian pasta meals.
Roasted Beetroot Pasta Sauce (Low Fat)
- 2-2.5 cups uncooked pasta of your choice
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 medium beets
- 1 medium red onion
- 2 garlic cloves
- ½ cup fromage frais
- 2-3 tablespoons olive oil plus a little more for brushing
- Sea salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 400 F/ 200 C/ gas mark 6.
- Peel the beetroot, cut into 8 pieces each, and place in a medium baking dish. Peel the garlic and add to the beetroot. Peel the onion, cut into 6 wedges and place in the baking dish. Season the vegetables and drizzle with 2-3 tablespoons of oil. Bake for 35 minutes stirring halfway through. Remove from the oven, place in a blender (together with the juices), add the fromage frais and blitz until the mixture is smooth.
- Whilst the vegetables are in the oven boil the pasta in salted water with the bay leaf according to package instructions. Drain and set aside.
- Combine the beetroot mixture with the pasta, adjust the seasoning and serve.