This vibrant, zesty Quinoa Beets Salad with Orange is a healthy and delicious light meal idea that’s suitable for gluten free and vegan diets.
My love of beetroot stems no doubt from my Polish upbringing. Borscht soup, pickled beetroot and cooked beetroot were regulars at meal times throughout my childhood. Beetroot is very healthy, looks fabulous and tastes like nothing else in the world. All good reasons to include plenty of it in our diet.
Easy meal prep tips
Prepping the beetroot
For this beets salad you can either cook the beetroot yourself or buy the precooked variety. I like to cook my own beetroot to make sure it is not overcooked and has a bit of crunch. (It takes about 30 minutes to cook whole unpeeled beetroot so if you are in a hurry the ready cooked option might be more convenient).
Alternatively cook the beetroot ahead and once cooled, refrigerate (for up to 3 days) until you are ready to use it.
Prepping the quinoa
Another ingredient that can be cooked ahead and refrigerated until you are ready to use it is the quinoa. Cooking it ahead will save you lots of time when making the actual salad. Cooked quinoa can be kept in the fridge for up to 4 days. There are lots of easy ways of incorporating it in our everyday meals – check out all my quinoa recipes here.
Assembling the salad
If you’ve done the steps above, i.e. cooked the beets and quinoa, assembling the salad is a breeze.
Make the quick and easy dressing. Once you’ve prepared the orange (see my Instructions on how to do this easily) simply combine it with the cooked quinoa and beets, pour in the dressing and stir. It’s really that easy.
More beetroot salad recipe ideas
Looking for more beetroot salad recipes? Try this easy pomegranate beet salsa or this citrusy beetroot salad with halloumi. You might also like this beetroot chickpea zoodle salad, If you enjoy spiralized salad recipe check out this beetroot zucchini apple ribbon salad.
Check out also my collection of 15+ easy vegan salads for even more salad inspiration!
Quinoa Beets Salad with Orange
- 1 cup cooked quinoa
- 2 medium beets cooked, peeled and cubed
- 1 large orange
- 2 tablespoons capers
- 3 tablespoons fresh cilantro leaves and stems, finely chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
For the dressing
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 4 tablespoons lemon juice
- 4 tablespoons orange juice fresh is best
- 1 teaspoon honey/maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger finely grated
- Combine all the salad dressing ingredients, stir thoroughly and set aside.
- Cut the ends off the orange, stand it on one end and slice the skin off downwards all the way around (make sure you also remove the thin, white skin around the fruit). Chop the orange into chunks.
- Combine all the salad ingredients, stir, drizzle with the dressing and enjoy!
Pin Quinoa Beets Salad with Orange!
KEEP IN TOUCH!
RECIPE LINK PARTIES
I am sharing my Quinoa Beets Salad with Orange with #CookBlogShare, hosted this week by Kirsty@Hijacked By Twins. If you’ve got a recipe why not link it up too and share with the rest of the blogging community!