This vibrant, zesty quinoa beets salad with orange and capers is a healthy and delicious light meal idea that’s suitable for gluten free and vegan diets.
This quick and easy quinoa beets salad takes approximately 12 minutes to throw together! It’s a deliciously refreshing salad meal that’s perfect to enjoy when it’s warm outside and you are not in the mood to spend hours in the kitchen.
My love of beetroot stems no doubt from my Polish upbringing. Borscht soup, pickled beetroot and cooked beetroot were regulars at meal times throughout my childhood. Beetroot is very healthy, looks fabulous and tastes like nothing else in the world. All good reasons to include plenty of it in our diet.
Today I’ve combined it with fluffy quinoa, zesty orange and sharp capers in a tasty, nutritious light meal recipe.
Prepping the beetroot for quinoa beets salad
For this beets salad you can either cook the beetroot yourself or buy the precooked variety. I like to cook my own beetroot to make sure it is not overcooked and has a bit of crunch. (It takes about 30 minutes to cook whole unpeeled beetroot so if you are in a hurry the ready cooked option might be more convenient).
Alternatively cook the beetroot ahead and once cooled, refrigerate (for up to 3 days) until you are ready to use it.
Prepping the quinoa
Another ingredient that can be cooked ahead and refrigerated until you are ready to use it is the quinoa. Cooking it ahead will save you lots of time when making the actual salad. Cooked quinoa can be kept in the fridge for up to 4 days.
Equipment you’ll need
2 saucepans with lids for cooking the beets and quinoa
Measuring cup and spoon
Large cutting board, knife and spoon
Grater and hand juicer
How to make quinoa beetroot salad: step-by-step
1.Boil the beets, covered, for approx. 30 minutes or until tender. Strain and set aside to cool completely. Peel and cube.
2. Make the quick and easy dressing by combining the dressing ingredients.
3. Peel the orange (see my Instructions below for how to do this easily) and chop into chunks.
4. Chop the salad ingredients and combine.
5. Pour in the dressing, season to taste, stir thoroughly and serve.
Cook the quinoa according to package instructions. Once cooled, either make the salad or refrigerate to use later.
Boil the beets, covered, for approx. 30 minutes or until tender (check with a fork). You can cook them ahead and once cooled, refrigerate for up to 3 days. Peel and chop when you are ready to make the salad.
If possible chill the salad for 30 minutes before serving. It will stay fresh, covered, in the fridge for 2-3 hours.
More beetroot salad recipe ideas
Looking for more beetroot salad recipes? Try this easy pomegranate beet salsa or this citrusy beetroot salad with halloumi. You might also like this beetroot chickpea zoodle salad, If you enjoy spiralized salad recipe check out this beetroot zucchini apple ribbon salad.
Check out also my collection of 15+ easy vegan salads for even more salad inspiration!
KEEP IN TOUCH!
How has this beetroot quinoa salad turned out for you? Let me know in the comments below, thanks!
Quinoa Beets Salad with Orange & Capers
- 1-1.5 cup cooked quinoa
- 2 medium beets cooked, peeled and cubed, see Notes
- 1 large orange peeled, see Instructions
- 2 tablespoons capers
- 3 tablespoons fresh cilantro/coriander leaves and stems, finely chopped
- Fine sea salt and pepper to taste
For the dressing
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 4 tablespoons lemon juice
- 4 tablespoons orange juice fresh is best
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger finely grated
- Cook the quinoa according to package instructions and set aside to cool completely. Boil the beets until tender (see Notes), strain and leave to cool completely. Peel and cube the beets.
- Make the dressing by combining all the ingredient. Set aside.
- Cut the ends off the orange, stand it on one end and slice the skin off downwards all the way around (make sure you also remove the thin, white skin around the fruit). Chop the orange into chunks.
- Combine all the salad ingredients, stir, drizzle with the dressing, season to taste and enjoy!
RECIPE LINK PARTIES
I am sharing my quinoa beetroot salad recipe with #CookBlogShare.