These simple 6-ingredient Beetroot Patties with Cheese and Polenta make a delicious and healthy snack, appetizer or side dish to enjoy alongside your vegetarian meal.
These healthy make ahead beetroot patties with polenta are extremely versatile. They can be eaten hot or cold, as an appetizer or snack when you feel a little peckish.
I don’t often use cornmeal in my recipes but recently I bought a good size bag of cornmeal determined to start incorporating this ingredient in my cooking. It’s a great thickener, it cooks very quickly and is gluten free!
Lots of good reasons to use it!
The first dish I made was polenta, a simple cornmeal porridge. Something I used to eat as a child but hadn’t had in a long time. I thought it tasted a little bland but I liked its thick texture. All it needed was a bit more flavour.
Beetroot has got plenty of it so it was the perfect ingredient to pair to my polenta.
Easy veggie patties with beetroot
It is a good idea to cook both the polenta and the beetroot ahead as they both need to cool down before you can use them. The polenta also thickens and solidifies as it cools, which is important in this recipe.
These cheesy veggie patties are very quick and easy to make, especially if you prepare the polenta and beetroot ahead. Peel and chop the beetroot roughly, then puree along with garlic. Then simply combine with the remaining ingredients, including the polenta, form little cakes and coat in breadcrumbs. All that’s left to do now is fry them briefly in a little oil to make them nice and crispy on both sides. It’s really that easy!
Also, these beetroot cakes need to be fried very briefly (to crisp up and warm through) as all the ingredients are ready to eat. 2 minutes on each side should be sufficient.
These beetroot patties are very nutritious and tasty and can be served hot or cold. Enjoy!
*NOTE: The beetroot will stain your hands as you form the patties, but rubbing them with some lemon will take care of that.
If you like cornmeal why not try these simple Potato Dumplings with Polenta!
If you are a fan of beetroot you may also like these Quinoa Burgers with Beetroot.
Beetroot Patties with Cheese and Polenta
- 3 medium beets unpeeled
- 1/2 cup coarse cornmeal
- 2/3 cup cheddar cheese coarsely grated (approx. 70 g)
- 1 large garlic clove finely chopped
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs approx. 10 tablespoons, plus more for coating
- 1/2 teaspoon onion granules
- Salt and pepper to taste use generously
- Olive oil for frying
- Cook the cornmeal with 1/2 cup of water stirring often, for a few minutes until it thickens (it should be quite thick). Remove from the heat and allow to cool.
- Cook the beetroot for 30 minutes, drain off the water and leave to cool. Peel the beetroot, chop roughly and puree along with the garlic in a food processor.
- Transfer to a large bowl and add the rest of the ingredients (including the cooked polenta), stirring well to combine. Form little cakes and coat them in breadcrumbs. Heat up a little olive oil and fry the cakes over a medium heat to crisp them up a bit (approx. 2 minutes on each side). Work in batches to avoid overcrowding the pan.
Pin Beetroot Patties with Cheese and Polenta!
KEEP IN TOUCH!
RECIPE LINK PARTIES
I am sharing this beetroot polenta veggie patties recipe with What’s For Dinner Sunday Linkup.