This simple citrusy cooked beetroot salad is full of vibrant colour, flavour and different textures. It comes with zesty grapefruit, savoury grilled halloumi cheese and a drizzle of refreshing ginger dressing.
This colourful cooked beetroot salad contains a handful of ingredients and can be thrown together in minutes.
Beetroot is an extremely versatile vegetable and goes well with all sorts of flavours, ranging from sweet to sour to salty. This is why I have included all of these flavours in this beetroot salad. The grapefruit’s sweet and sour citrusy notes together with the salty savoury flavour of the halloumi all complement the earthy sweetness of the beetroot. The dressing is simple, also sweet and sour with a bit of bite thanks to the addition of the fresh ginger.
How to cook the beetroot
Cook the beetroot whole, unpeeled, in water, for about 30 minutes or until it is tender enough to chop. The exact cooking time will depend on the size of your beetroot as well as personal preference. Check how tender it is by inserting a fork into your beet towards the end of cooking.
The beetroot will retain more flavour if you boil it unpeeled.
Once you’ve removed it from the pot allow it to cool, then peel and cube it (alternatively cut it into wedges). The peel will come off very easily.
Can I cook the beetroot ahead
Yes, and I recommend that you do! If you cook the beetroot in advance you will only need a few minutes to prepare this salad. Cooked, unpeeled beetroot can be kept in the fridge for 3-4 days. Peel it when you are ready to make the salad.
How to make cooked beetroot salad with grilled halloumi and grapefruit
Once you’ve cooked and chilled the beetroot and made the dressing prepare the rest of the ingredients. Peel and cube the grapefruit and briefly dry toast the almond flakes. Place your salad leaves inside the salad bowl (or on a large plate) and top with the beetroot and grapefruit. Then grill the halloumi.
How to grill halloumi cheese
Cut the halloumi into approx. 1 cm thick slices. Heat up the griddle pan and fry the cheese over a medium heat for about 2 minutes on each side. Add in into the salad immediately as the halloumi will harden as it cools.
Finish off assembling the cooked beet grapefruit salad by scattering almond flakes and drizzling the ginger dressing over the top. Serve immediately.
If you are a fan of grilled halloumi check out buckwheat with grilled pineapple and halloumi.
More beetroot salad recipes
Cooked Beetroot Salad with Grapefruit & Halloumi
- 2 medium/large beets cooked
- 1 white grapefruit peeled, cubed
- 220 g halloumi cheese sliced
- 2 tablespoons almond flakes
- A good helping of watercress or pea shoots roughly chopped
- Sea salt and pepper to taste
- For the dressing:
- 3 tablespoons good vegetable oil ex. rapeseed
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoons ginger peeled, finely grated
- Cook the beets for about 30 minutes or until tender. Drain off the water and allow to cool a little, then peel and cube or cut into wedges. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl combine the dressing ingredients and set aside.
- Dry toast the almond flakes in a pan for a couple of minutes stirring all the time. Remove from the heat and place in a small bowl.
- In a large bowl combine the watercress (or pea shoots) with the grapefruit and beetroot. Set aside.
- Grill the halloumi slices in a griddle pan over a medium heat for a couple of minutes on each side. Add to the salad, scatter over the almond flakes, season to taste, drizzle with the dressing and enjoy! (serve immediately while the halloumi is still warm and soft)
Pin Cooked Beetroot Salad with Grapefruit & Halloumi
Recipe link parties
I am bringing this cooked beetroot salad recipe to Saucy Saturdays.