Polish cold beet soup (chlodnik) is a delicious, refreshing soup popular in Poland during warmer months. It contains both beets as well as beet greens and is super quick and easy to make.
Polish chlodnik cold beet soup is a refreshing vegetarian dish, great to make on a hot day. As it’s summer and we are expecting a heat wave here in the UK any day now (!) I thought I’d introduce this delicious cold beetroot soup with yogurt on my blog.
I usually make ‘healthy’ adjustments to traditional Polish recipes but this beetroot soup is really nutritious and simply perfect the way it’s always been prepared.
What I love most about chlodnik, apart from the taste, is that it contains both the beet roots AND greens! Beet greens are very underrated despite being full of goodness and flavour. Together with the beets they create a wonderfully rich, delicious dish, full of flavour as well as colour. And nothing gets wasted!
(Check out also this simple beet greens vegetable soup).
Making this easy beet soup involved a visit to Unicorn, a vegetarian grocery shop in Manchester, UK. This is the only place I know where beet greens don’t get chopped off! Visiting this shop is a treat in itself, as it stocks a large variety of organic locally sourced fresh fruit, vegetables and herbs as well as lots of fabulous hard to come by products.
How to make easy Polish cold beet soup
This healthy chlodnik soup requires a bit of chopping and grating but is very easy to make.
Start by combining the grated beets and chopped greens with water, lemon juice and seasoning. Cook until the mixture begins to boil (approx. 10 minutes), then remove from the heat and leave to cool completely. You won’t have to do any more cooking!
(The fact that this soup cooks so quickly means that the vegetables retain their maximum nutritional value, which is another thing I love about this soup).
Whilst the soup is cooling prepare the rest of the ingredients. So grate the radish and cucumber, chop the herbs and garlic. Then simply toss into the beet mixture, add the yogurt, seasoning, stir and refrigerate for at least 4 hours. It’s really that simple!
This Polish chlodnik beetroot soup is traditionally served with hard boiled eggs. You can also enjoy it on its own or with hearty rye or pumpernickel bread. This soup makes a great starter, perfect to serve at a summer party.
If you like cold soups you might also like my quick fruit soup recipe.
More easy beet soup recipes
You may also like this collection of over 12 creamy vegan soups.
Cold Beet Soup (Polish Chlodnik)
- 2 medium beets with greens
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 and 2/3 cup water
- 750 ml buttermilk or natural yogurt
- 2-3 tablespoons dill finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons chives finely chopped
- 10 radishes coarsely grated
- Cucumber 15 cm long, peeled, coarsely grated
- 1 garlic clove crushed
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoon sea salt plus plenty of pepper
- Serve with hard boiled eggs optional
- Peel the beets and grate (coarsely). Finely chop the greens (leaves and stems). Place all in a large pot, add the water, 1 teaspoon of salt, lemon juice, cover and bring to boil. Remove from the heat and leave to cool.
- Once the beet mixture has cooled add the remaining ingredients, season to taste and stir thoroughly. For best results leave in the fridge for a few hours before serving. Yields 6-8 portions.
Pin Cold Beet Soup (Polish Chlodnik) recipe for later!
Keep in touch!
Recipe Link Parties
I am bringing this Polish cold beet soup recipe to This Is How We Roll.