This simple vegan spiralized beetroot salad with zucchini, apple and maple vinaigrette makes an impressive starter, perfect for entertaining.
To celebrate National Vegetarian Week I’ve made this sweet and zesty spiralized beetroot salad with zucchini, apple and maple vinaigrette. If you love to use the spiralizer you will really enjoy making beautiful decorative beetroot and zucchini ribbons. You can really show off your spiralizing skils with this recipe!
And if you aren’t partial to chopping then this spiralized salad is ideal for you! The only ingredients that are chopped are the pecans and the apple. (Though you can also spiralize the apple if you prefer – more on that below).
Spiralized beetroot salad
I am not a huge fan of kitchen gadgets. I usually prefer to stick to uncomplicated instruments such as knife, peeler or grater. In this beetroot salad recipe, however, I used a spiralizer as well as an apple corer.
I think using a spiralizer can really lift a salad, especially one that has few ingredients. Such as this one. Although it’s simple it makes an impressive looking dish (entirely thanks to the spiralizer). The apple corer makes things easier regardless if you spiralize or cube the apple. (I prefer the latter as it makes for a more interesting texture in the salad).
Prepping the beetroot
The beetroot is cooked briefly (with the skin on as it’s tastier that way) so it’s still firm but not quite as hard as raw. It’s not only easier to spiralize but it matches the other ingredients’ texture.
The beetroot can be cooked ahead, which will make this easy salad super quick to assemble. (Once the beetroot has cooled keep it covered in the fridge until you are ready to make the salad).
Is this salad adaptable
Absolutely! I think it’s a good idea to use slightly sour apples but you don’t necessarily have to use Granny Smith, Just use a variety that’s available where you live. My choice of herb for this beetroot apple salad recipe is chives, though coriander (cilantro) or parsley would be good alternatives.
More spiralized salad recipes
Check out also this collection of 15+ easy vegan salads for even more salad inspiration!
You may also like my post including 15 easy spiralizer recipes for any occasion.
Spiralized Beetroot Salad with Zucchini, Apple & Maple Vinaigrette
- 1 large beetroot unpeeled
- 1 small/medium zucchini courgette
- 1 Granny Smith apple or other similar variety
- 1/2 cup toasted pecans roughly chopped
- For the Vinaigrette:
- 1.5 tablespoons maple syrup
- 3 - 3.5 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons good quality vegetable oil I used rapeseed
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1/3 teaspoon ginger powder
- Sea salt and pepper to taste
- Chives for garnish
- Boil the beetroot whole in for about 20 minutes (bring to boil first). Drain, leave to cool and peel. Using a spiralizer make beetroot ribbons.
- Make zucchini ribbons.
- Core the apple and either cube or spiralize it into ribbons (no need to peel the apple). Place all the salad ingredients on a large plate.
- Combine all the dressing ingredients and drizzle over the salad. Season to taste, scatter toasted pecans and chives over the whole thing and serve immediately.