These delicious, dairy free blackberry breakfast bars with hazelnuts make a fantastic low sugar breakfast or healthy snack/lunchbox idea your children will love!
This delicious blackberry breakfast bars recipe contains only 6 ingredients and takes minutes to put together.
How to make healthy blackberry breakfast bars
Start by preheating the oven and combining the ‘dry’ ingredients, i.e. oats, hazelnuts and flaxseed. In a saucepan combine the blackberries, coconut oil and honey, bring to boil, then simmer for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally to prevent the mixture sticking to the pan.
Then simply pour the fruit mixture into the dry ingredients and stir thoroughly. Transfer the whole thing into the prepared baking tin and pack in tightly. Bake for 20 minutes. Remove from the oven and let cool completely before cutting into bars.
I made these bars several times until I was happy with the proportions. I wanted the bars to be moist as well as sweet enough to be enjoyed as breakfast bars, healthy snack bars and even dessert bars. And they are!
These semi-sweet hazelnut bars with blackberries are dairy free and do not contain any refined sugar. They are full of oat, nut, seed and fruity goodness making them an ideal healthy breakfast on-the-go.
The mild coconut flavour (from the coconut oil) goes extremely well with the blackberries and even my children, who aren’t usually keen on coconut recipes, didn’t grumble.
Can I make this breakfast bars recipe vegan
Yes, you can! Simply swap the honey for agave or maple syrup or another vegan friendly sweetener.
How to store these oat bars
Once you have cooled and cut this blackberry oat bake into bars place them in an air tight container and refrigerate for up to 3 days.
More healthy oat breakfast ideas on the go
Check out also this collection of 18 healthy, easy vegetable breakfast recipes.
Blackberry Breakfast Bars with Hazelnuts
- 250 g blackberries roughly chopped
- 80 g hazelnuts lightly crushed
- 200 g rolled oats
- 2 tablespoons whole flaxseed
- 4 tablespoons honey alternatively agave or maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- Preheat the oven to 325 F/ 170 C/ gas mark 3. lightly grease and line a 20x20 cm baking tin with non-stick paper.
- In a large bowl combine the oats, hazelnuts and flaxseed and set aside.
- In a saucepan heat up the blackberries, honey (or agave or maple syrup if you prefer) and coconut oil. Simmer for 5 minutes stirring occasionally. Pour into the oat mixture and stir thoroughly to combine. Pack the mixture tightly into the tin and bake for 20 minutes. Let cool completely before cutting into bars. Yields approx. 10 bars.
Pin Blackberry Breakfast Bars with Hazelnuts