These easy to make gluten free carrot muffins are packed full of flavour and goodness. Dairy free and delicious, they make a great breakfast, healthy snack or as well as lunchbox idea.
*Edited May 31, 2019
These gluten free carrot muffins are also dairy free, super light and fluffy and full of delicious and nutritious ingredients.
Gluten free fluffy muffins
In this breakfast carrot muffin recipe instead of traditional plain flour I used a mixture of naturally gluten free buckwheat flour and ground almonds (almond flour). So the recipe is wheat free.
Buckwheat flour has a distinct flavour which can be a little overpowering so the ground almonds tone it down. As a result the buckwheat flavour is quite subtle.
Plus the addition of the ground almonds makes fluffier muffins, whether gluten free or not. I’ve also used this combination in many other muffins recipes, including gluten free blueberry muffins with maple syrup, blood orange muffins with chocolate chips, as well as lemon marzipan muffins.
How to make gluten free carrot muffins
Start by finely grating the carrot. Then combine all the ‘dry’ ingredients and set aside.
In another bowl whisk together briefly the eggs, sugar and oil until smooth. Add the carrot, apple juice and stir thoroughly. Then stir in the dry mixture just to combine. Spoon the batter into your muffin pan and bake in a preheated oven for 23 minutes (400 F/200 C/ gas mark 6).
Can I swap the apple juice for non-dairy milk
Yes, you can! Simply use your favourite non-dairy milk. I chose apple juice as it contributes a bit of natural sweetness.
I also chose oil instead of butter in this healthy muffin recipe. I used cold pressed rapeseed oil but you can use any good quality vegetable oil.
Do I have to use chia seeds
No, you don’t!
You can swap the chia for poppy seeds, a handful of sultanas or raisins, or crushed nuts (macadamia, hazelnut or brasil nuts). Use approx. 1/3 up to half a cup of these.
What other spices would work well in breakfast carrot muffins
I used a combination of ground ginger and cinnamon, but mixed spice or pumpkin spice would work well too. You may also use a single spice, such as just the ground ginger or cinnamon. Entirely up to you.
More gluten free muffin recipes
Check out also this collection of 18 easy vegetable breakfast recipes.
Gluten Free Carrot Muffins (Dairy Free)
- 2 cups finely grated carrot loosely packed
- 1 cup buckwheat flour
- 1 cup ground almonds/almond flour
- 4 tbsp chia seeds
- 2 tsp baking powder gluten free
- 2 tsp each: ginger powder and cinnamon
- 2 medium eggs
- 100 ml vegetable oil 0.4 cup
- 1 cup apple juice
- 1/3 cup light brown sugar
- Preheat the oven to 400 F/ 200 C/ gas mark 6. Grease or line a muffin pan with 12 muffin cases.
- Combine the flour, ground almonds, chia, spices and baking powder. Stir well and set aside.
- In a large bowl whisk together the eggs, oil and sugar until smooth. Add the apple juice, carrots and stir well to combine. Add the dry mixture all at once and stir just to combine. Spoon the mixture into the muffin cases and bake for 23 minutes. Remove from the oven and place on a cooling rack for 15 minutes.
Pin Gluten Free Carrot Muffin (Dairy Free)
KEEP IN TOUCH
RECIPE LINK PARTIES