These healthy, delicious Gluten Free Breakfast Carrot Muffins with Chia are dairy free, high in protein but low in both sugar and fat. Great for breakfast, as a snack or healthy lunchbox idea.
Every now and again I feel a compulsion to make muffins. Quite frequently actually. They make a great mid-morning snack so I like to make a batch at least once a week to be able to enjoy them regularly.
Gluten free muffins
In this breakfast carrot muffin recipe instead of traditional plain flour I used a mixture of buckwheat flour and ground almonds. So the recipe is wheat free. Buckwheat flour has a distinct flavour which can be a little overpowering so the ground almonds tone it down. As a result the buckwheat flavour is quite subtle. Plus the addition of the ground almonds makes fluffier muffins. I’ve also used this combination in these Gluten Free Blueberry Muffins with Maple Syrup as well as these Blood Orange Buckwheat Muffins recipe.
Dairy free breakfast muffins
This healthy carrot muffin recipe also contains no dairy – I used apple juice instead of milk. I also chose oil instead of butter. I used cold pressed rapeseed oil but you can use any good quality vegetable oil.
Low sugar healthy muffins
I always try to keep the fat and sugar content in all my recipes as low as possible and this carrot cake muffins recipe is no exception. I used naturally sweet apple juice and only 5 tablespoons of sugar. To make these muffins even more nutritious I also added chia seeds into the batter. I chose all the ingredients very carefully to create a healthy as well as delicious breakfast muffin recipe.
For more healthy breakfast recipes using vegetables see my post on How To Eat More Vegetables For Breakfast.
More gluten free breakfast muffin recipes
Gluten Free Breakfast Carrot Muffins with Chia
- 2 cups finely grated carrot
- 1 cup buckwheat flour
- 1 cup ground almonds
- 4 tablespoons chia seeds
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 tsp each: ground ginger and cinnamon
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup apple juice
- 5 tablespoons sugar
- Preheat the oven to 400 F/ 200 C/ gas mark 6. Line a muffin tin with 12 muffin cases.
- Combine the flour, ground almonds, chia, spices and baking powder. Set aside.
- In a large bowl whisk together the egg, oil and sugar. Add the apple juice, carrots and stir well to combine. Add the dry mixture all at once and stir until the dry ingredients are no longer visible. Spoon the mixture into the muffin cases and bake for 23 minutes. Remove from the oven and place on a cooling rack.
Pin Gluten Free Breakfast Carrot Muffin with Chia
KEEP IN TOUCH
RECIPE LINK PARTIES
I am bringing my healthy Gluten Free Carrot Cake Muffins (Dairy Free) to Got 2 Be Gluten Free. Also sharing with Fiesta Friday. This week’s co-hosts are Petra @ Love Food Eat and Zeba @ Food For The Soul.