This simple buckwheat salad recipe comes with grilled pineapple and halloumi cheese makes a delicious, healthy vegetarian lunch.
This simple buckwheat salad recipe is full of zest and colour, combining sweet and savoury flavours to create a fantastic salad meal.
How to cook buckwheat groats
Contrary to its name naturally gluten free buckwheat is not a type of wheat, but a plant with grain-like seeds. It is an excellent source of protein, magnesium, and other minerals.
Buckwheat groats cook very quickly, so in addition to being nutritious buckwheat is also quick and easy to prepare, which is a rare combination. It can be eaten hot or cold depending on the dish and individual preference.
To cook buckwheat use 1 portion of the buckwheat groats to 2 portions of water. Cover, bring to the boil, then simmer for 12-15 minutes, until tender. Drain off the water if there is any left in the pot. Set aside to cool, then combine with the other salad ingredients.
Buckwheat has a slightly bitter, nutty flavour, which pairs really well with the sharp, sweet flavour of the grilled pineapple and the lovely soft texture of the halloumi cheese.
How to prepare the pineapple for buckwheat salad recipe
Cut both ends of the pineapple and stand it on one end. Slicing downwards cut the outer layer off all the way around. Then simply cut the pineapple widthways into 2-3 cm thick slices. Grill over a high heat in a griddle pan for 3-4 minutes on each side.
How to prepare the halloumi cheese
Cut the halloumi into approx. 5-7 mm thick slices. Heat up a griddle pan and grill the halloumi over a high heat for about 2-3 minutes on each side or until lightly browned. Serve hot, straight form the pan when it’s soft and fluffy (halloumi cheese hardens as it cools).
I recommend grilling the halloumi just before you are ready to serve the salad.
How to assemble buckwheat salad with pineapple and halloumi
Once you’ve prepared all the ingredients you can either serve the grilled pineapple and halloumi on top of the buckwheat groats or chop them up and stir to combine.
Garnish this grilled pineapple buckwheat salad with watercress, drizzle over the dressing and serve!
More buckwheat recipes
If you are a fan of buckwheat you might also like this baked buckwheat casserole with cheese.
Check out also this collection of over 15 easy vegan salads.
You might also like this collection of over 12 healthy vegetarian pasta meals.
Buckwheat Salad Recipe with Grilled Pineapple and Halloumi
- 1/2 cup buckwheat
- 4-5 fresh pineapple slices
- Halloumi cheese sliced
- Small bunch of watercress
For the Dressing:
- 3 tablespoons good vegetable oil
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon honey/maple syrup
- Rinse and cook the buckwheat according to package instructions (usually 1 portion of buckwheat to 2 portions of water, ready in about 12-15 minutes).
- Combine the dressing ingredients, stir and set aside.
- In a griddle pan grill the pineapple slices (3-4 minutes on each side, enough to get nice markings on the pineapple) and the halloumi (2-3 minutes on each side).
- For individual portions use 2 tablespoons of the buckwheat with 1 slice of pineapple and 1-2 slices of halloumi. Garnish with watercress and drizzle with the dressing. Alternatively chop up the ingredients and stir to combine.
Pin Buckwheat Salad Recipe with Grilled Pineapple & Halloumi
Keep in touch
Recipe link parties
I am bringing my healthy buckwheat salad recipe to Tasty Tuesdays.