This simple Buckwheat with Grilled Pineapple and Halloumi, full of contrasting flavours and textures, makes a delicious vegetarian light lunch idea.
BUCKWHEAT WITH GRILLED PINEAPPLE AND HALLOUMI
Buckwheat is one of those foods that we probably don’t eat enough of (myself included). I simply don’t remember to buy it regularly as it doesn’t catch my eye the way the endless types of pasta or rice do when I’m in the supermarket. But it is there, and if you look you will find it.
Contrary to its name buckwheat is not a type of wheat, but a plant with grain-like seeds. It is an excellent source of protein, magnesium, and other minerals. It also cooks very quickly, so in addition to being nutritious it is also convenient, which is a rare combination. It can be eaten hot or cold depending on the dish and individual preference.
Buckwheat has a slightly bitter, nutty flavour, which pairs really well with the sharp, sweet flavour of the grilled pineapple and the lovely soft texture of the halloumi cheese. Remember that halloumi hardens as it cools so it’s best served hot. Enjoy!
The buckwheat will be ready in about 10-15 minutes, which is roughly the same length of time needed to grill the pineapple and the halloumi – to save time start grilling when the buckwheat starts to boil. Your meal will be ready in under 30 minutes (including preparation time).
If you make this recipe I’d love to know what you thought! Thanks:)
If you are a fan of buckwheat you might also like my Buckwheat Macaroni Cheese.
If you like to use buckwheat flour you might like my Buckwheat Carrot Chia Muffins!
Buckwheat with Grilled Pineapple and Halloumi
- 1/2 cup buckwheat
- 4-5 fresh pineapple slices
- Halloumi cheese sliced
- Small bunch of watercress
For the Dressing:
- 3 tablespoons good vegetable oil
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon honey
- Rinse and cook the buckwheat according to package instructions (1 portion of buckwheat to 2 portions of water, ready in about 8 minutes).
- Combine the dressing ingredients, stir and set aside.
- In a griddle pan grill the pineapple slices (3-4 minutes on each side, enough to get nice markings on the pineapple) and the halloumi (2-3 minutes on each side).
- For individual portions use 2 tablespoons of the buckwheat with 1 slice of pineapple and 1-2 slices of halloumi. Garnish with watercress and drizzle with the dressing.
Pin Buckwheat with Grilled Pineapple and Halloumi
Recipe link parties
I am bringing my Buckwheat with Grilled Pineapple and Halloumi to Tasty Tuesdays.