This Butternut Squash Bulgur Wheat Loaf is a delicious yet simple side dish recipe idea that’s quick and easy to put together.
BUTTERNUT SQUASH BULGUR WHEAT LOAF
If you a looking for a new side dish recipe idea that’s healthy as well as delicious then this simple Butternut Squash Bulgur Wheat Loaf might be what you need. It is easy to prepare, cooks in one dish and is the perfect everyday healthy side recipe.
I love bulgur wheat for its mildly nutty flavour, interesting texture and above all, convenience. Bulgur wheat does not need to be cooked but only soaked for 20 minutes to rehydrate (see the instructions below)! This is why I often choose it over rice (as I have in my stuffed tomatoes recipe) or pasta, as I have in this recipe. Oh, and it’s nutritious too! But I’ve said that before.
Another reason I like this Butternut Squash Bulgur Wheat Loaf is that you can actually slice it which makes for a nice neat looking side dish. Sprinkle with some fresh lemon zest or paprika for a bit of colour or even spice it up with some cayenne pepper. Tastes delicious with grilled chicken!
Enjoy this autumny (butternut squash!) different yet simple to make side recipe idea!
Butternut Squash Bulgur Wheat Loaf
- 320 g butternut squash peeled, coarsely grated
- 2/3 cup raw bulgur wheat plus 2/3 cup boiling water for rehydrating it
- 2/3 cup approx. 70g cheddar cheese, coarsely grated
- 1 garlic clove finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon onion granules
- 2 tablespoons olive oil plus a little more for greasing the tin
- 1 teaspoon fine sea salt plenty of pepper
- Lemon zest for garnish optional
- Place the bulgur wheat in a bowl, add 2/3 cup boiling water and leave to stand, covered, for 15-20 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 375 F/ 190 C/ gas mark 5. Grease a medium size loaf tin with a little oil and line with non-stick baking paper. Set aside.
- In a large bowl combine the butternut squash, cheddar, garlic, onion granules, oil, salt and pepper and bulgur (once it's cooled down a little). Stir thoroughly. Tip into the baking tin, press down to make the loaf more solid, drizzle with a little oil and bake for 40 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and leave in the tin for 5 minutes. Lift from the tin and place on a large plate. Serve sliced, sprinkled with some lemon zest and a drizzle of olive oil.