This simple Butternut Squash Coconut Curry with Chicken and Apple makes a delicious and healthy seasonal, easy dinner idea.
This Butternut Squash Coconut Curry with Chicken and Apple is my second easy curry dish this week! A few days ago I posted this Quick Vegetarian Curry with Chickpeas and Paneer. Both are simple, speedy, healthy curry recipes, perfect as mid-week dinner ideas.
This particular recipe has a definite seasonal feel to it. It’s made with roasted butternut squash as well as apple. I used my favourite autumn cooking apple, the Bramley variety, as much for its wonderful sour flavour as its texture when cooked. It becomes soft and almost buttery in texture without disintegrating. Which makes it ideal for roasting too.
If you are looking for more using apples you might like this Rooibos Chicken with Autumn Apple recipe. It’s a colourful dish that’s quick and easy to prepare, gluten and dairy free and perfect for entertaining. You might also like this Roasted Cauliflower Apple Soup which is another fantastic party dish. Check out also this Healthy Apple Crumble with Walnuts and Ginger.
Easy butternut squash coconut curry
If you can’t find Bramley apples where you live use another sour variety. (Bramleys are normally quite big and I only used half of one, so if your apples are small use a whole one).
The butternut squash is roasted, which makes it super sweet and slightly nutty tasting, contrasting nicely with the subtle tangy sour flavour of the curry. (You can’t really taste the apple itself very much). I wanted to keep the sour and sweet notes of this dish separate so decided not to puree the butternut squash and mix in with the curry.
Other easy butternut squash recipes you might like include this Butternut Squash Chicken Stew with Black Beans. It’s warming, filling and absolutely delicious on a cold autumn evening! Check out also these Polish inspired Turkey Dumplings (Pierogi) with Butternut Squash.
You might also like this hearty, nutritious Butternut Squash Vegetarian Chilli.
Chicken is super versatile and tastes fantastic with all the sweet and sour notes in this curry. I think it’s a good idea to fry it separately in a bit of oil and then add to the curry. It’s easier to keep an eye on it and not allow it to overcook.
I used red lentils to add substance to this quick and easy chicken curry recipe. Red lentils are nutritious and cook very quickly. The curry itself takes about 15-20 minutes to cook, which is not bad for a curry dish made from scratch!
If you decide to make this easy Butternut Squash Coconut Curry with Chicken and Apple do get in touch. I’d love to know how it turned out:).
Check out also this collection of 13 healthy, easy one pot chicken recipes!
Butternut Squash Coconut Curry with Chicken and Apple
- 1 small or ½ large butternut squash peeled, cubed (approx. 600g)
- 4 small or 3 medium chicken breasts skinless, diced
- ½ large bramley apple or another sour variety, use 1 apple if small, peeled, cored, cubed
- ½ cup red lentils
- 120 ml coconut milk
- ½ cup water
- 1 large onion roughly chopped
- 4 garlic cloves roughly chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh ginger chopped
- ½ chilli chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 5 green cardamom seeds
- 1 teaspoon each garam masala turmeric and coriander powders
- 1 level tablespoon cumin powder
- 1 level teaspoon sea salt
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- 5-6 tablespoons fresh coriander finely chopped
- Toasted pumpkin seeds for sprinkling on top optional
- Preheat the oven to 400 F/ 200 C/ gas mark 6. Place the buttenut squash and apple pieces on a large baking tray, sprinkle with the garam masala, drizzle with 2-3 tablespoons of oil and pop in the oven for 30 minutes. Remove the apples, put aside, and continue roasting for another 15 minutes or until the squash is tender and lightly browned.
- Whilst the squash and apples are in the oven prepare the curry sauce. Puree the onion, garlic, ginger and chilli. Set aside.
- In a large saucepan heat up 2 tablespoons of oil, add the bay leaf, cardamom seeds, turmeric, coriander and cumin powders and stir. Add the onion puree and stir thoroughly. Let cook for a minute or 2. Add the lentils, salt, water and coconut milk, stir and simmer, covered, for 15 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in the apple (it should be very soft so squash it with the back of the spoon to mix in with the sauce).
- Fry the chicken pieces in 2 tablespoons of oil over a medium heat, turning often, for about 4 minutes (try not to overcook the chicken but do ensure it's not pink). Add the chicken and the roasted squash into the curry, along with any juices, as well as the fresh coriander, stir well, sprinkle toasted pumpkin seeds on top (optional) and enjoy!
Pin this Butternut Squash Coconut Curry with Chicken and Apple recipe!
MORE EASY, HEALTHY MEAL IDEAS
KEEP IN TOUCH!
RECIPE LINK PARTIES
I am bringing this recipe to #CookBlogShare, which I have the pleasure of hosting this week! Also sharing to Recipe of the Week, Free From Fridays, Fiesta Friday, co-hosted this week by Zeba @ Food For The Soul and Jhuls @ The Not So Creative Cook.