This chicken butternut squash casserole with black beans is a simple, frugal and healthy dinner idea, perfect to share with family or friends. Make a big batch and enjoy the next day too!
This simple, nourishing chicken butternut squash casserole with black beans is a one-pot family friendly delicious dinner idea and the perfect Bonfire Night dish. When it comes to feeding a crowd (especially when it’s cold outside) casseroles are the most practical dishes. They are warming, delicious and require very little work. A bowl of this nourishing chicken stew served with some crusty bread will go down a treat after an evening of fireworks!
Frugal chicken casserole
Another great thing about this chicken casserole recipe is that it is very cheap to make. Meat is usually the most expensive ingredient in a dish. But in this recipe I used chicken thighs, which are very cheap and ideal in a dish that is slow cooked. They get super tender and juicy and simply fall off the bone after 2 hours in the oven.
How to make chicken butternut squash casserole
As with most one-pot dishes, the method is quite straightforward and usually involves gradually adding the ingredients into the pot. This chicken casserole with beans is no exception. There is absolutely nothing tricky about this recipe.
Start by heating up the oil and adding the onion, garlic and bay leaf. You can do this right in your casserole dish, if it’s suitable for all heat sources. (Alternatively use a large frying pan and transfer the mixture into your oven dish later, once you’ve added the chicken).
Into the pot go the chicken thighs, then the wine, let it cook for a couple of minutes, then simply throw in the rest of the ingredients. Give a good stir, cover and pop in the oven for 2 hours. Stir a couple of times throughout cooking.
Once the dish is cooked I strongly recommend taking the chicken out, separating the meat from the bone and then putting the meat chunks back in the pot and mixing with the vegetables. Also if the sun-dried tomatoes are still in one piece, take them out too, chop and put back into the stew.
All natural ingredients
This dish is made without any stock (most of my recipes are), yet is rich and full of flavour. This is thanks to the combination of sweet spices, butternut squash, tangy tomatoes and the chicken. This butternut squash casserole recipe is gluten and dairy free and you don’t need to thicken the sauce. There is no need to add any water either. Don’t worry if there is not much liquid in the stew to start with. There’ll be plenty after 2 hours in the oven.
More warming stews
Check out also this collection of 13 healthy, easy one pot chicken recipes!
Chicken Butternut Squash Casserole with Black Beans
- 600 g butternut squash peeled, cubed
- 4 large chicken thighs skinless
- 1 x400g tin black beans drained
- 1 x400g tin tomatoes
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves finely chopped
- 3 sun-dried tomatoes dried or in oil
- 1 heaped teaspoon each hot or mild/smoked paprika and cumin powder
- ½ teaspoon each ground allspice and nutmeg
- 2/3 tablespoon coarse sea salt a little less than 1
- 1 large bay leaf
- 5 tablespoons white wine
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- Serve with freshly chopped parsley and crusty bread
- Preheat the oven to 350F / 180C /gas mark 4. You will need a min. 4l casserole dish with a lid (alternatively use tin foil).
- Heat up the oil, add the bay leaf, garlic and onion, stir and saute for 2 minutes stirring often (you can do this in your casserole dish if it's suitable for all heat sources). Move the onion mixture to the side and place the chicken thighs at the bottom of the dish. Cook for 2 minutes on each side. Pour in the wine and continue cooking for a couple more minutes.
- Add the spices along with all the other ingredients, stir, cover and pop in the oven for 2 hours. Stir a couple of times throughout the cooking. When the dish is done take the chicken out, separate the meat from the bones and put the meat back into the stew. Chop up the sun-dried tomatoes, too, if they haven't disintegrated.
Pin this Chicken Butternut Squash Casserole with Black Beans!
KEEP IN TOUCH!
RECIPE LINK PARTIES
I am bringing this chicken and black bean casserole to #CookBlogShare, which I have the pleasure of hosting this week. If you’ve got a recipe join the party!
I am also taking this recipe to This Is How We Roll, Recipe of the Week, Cook Once Eat Twice, #FreeFromFridays, Fiesta Friday, co-hosted this week by Antonia @ Zoale.com and Jhuls @ The Not So Creative Cook.