This simple vegetarian Asian Cabbage Noodle Stir Fry with Sichuan Pepper Dressing is super quick and easy to make. It's a delicious healthy meal idea the whole family will enjoy!
This vegetarian Asian Cabbage Noodles with Sichuan Pepper Dressing recipe was inspired by the Chinese New Year Celebrations. As well as the fact that my husband recently purchased a large amount of Sichuan peppercorns (to make a recipe he saw on a TV cooking show). The dish he made was delicious and I got very interested in Sichuan pepper.
I looked up this unusual (for this part of the world) spice and found out that in fact it is not pepper at all but the berry (in its dried form) of a type of ash tree. This berry has a somewhat peppery (hence the name no doubt) but also sweet flowery flavour and aroma (which becomes quite distinct when the peppercorns are toasted). It's milder than black pepper and is one of the ingredients of the well-known five-spice-powder.
Sichuan Pepper Dressing
Start by quickly dry toasting the Sichuan peppercorns in a pan. Then grind them into a powder and combine with the rest of the dressing ingredients. You can make the dressing ahead which will save you a bit more time when making the recipe. Keep the dressing refrigerated (overnight is fine) until you are ready to use it.
How to make a quick cabbage stir fry with noodles
This quick and easy cabbage stir fry uses essentially only one vegetable so there is not much chopping involved. Once your noodles have been cooked and you've prepared the dressing the stir fry takes just minutes to throw together. Simply fry the garlic, ginger and cabbage in a wok or large pan for a few minutes, then add the soy sauce. Towards the end of cooking stir in the noodles.
The Sichuan peppercorn dressing is nutty, sweet and peppery, though quite mild, and works really well with the sweet savoy cabbage. I recommend serving this cabbage stir fry with freshly chopped spring onions and lightly roasted peanuts for a bit of crunch. Alternatively sprinkle some cashews and scatter freshly chopped cilantro before serving.
If you are wondering where to get Sichuan peppercorns from, you can buy them in Chinese supermarkets (some regular supermarkets might also sell them, especially now as the Chinese New Year celebrations are in full swing). I understand Sichuan peppercorns are also known as Szechuan peppercorns (feel free to correct me if I am wrong!), but since the sources I came across seem to prefer the former, I also chose to use it in this recipe.
More Asian style healthy recipes
Check out also this collection of over 12 healthy vegetarian pasta meals.
Asian Cabbage Noodle Stir Fry with Sichuan Pepper Dressing
- 1/3 medium savoy cabbage thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons light soy sauce
- 2 garlic cloves finely chopped
- 1 tbsp fresh ginger finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- Egg noodles for 2 people cooked according to packet instructions
- Spring onion and roasted peanuts for garnish
For the Dressing
- 1 teaspoon Sichuan peppercorns
- 1 teaspoon smooth peanut butter
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 and 1/2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1 tablespoon sweet chilli sauce
- Quickly dry toast the Sichuan peppercorns (about 1 minute stirring constantly) and grind in a pestle and mortar to a powder. Combine with the other dressing ingredients and set aside.
- In a wok or large frying pan heat up 2 tablespoons of oil, add the garlic, ginger and cabbage and fry for 5-6 minutes over a medium heat stirring occasionally. Half way through add the soy sauce. Towards the end of cooking add the noodles. Remove from the heat, pour in the dressing, top with spring onions and roasted peanuts and serve.
*Nutritional information is automatically generated and should be considered as an estimate.
Pin Asian Cabbage Noodle Stir Fry with Sichuan Pepper Dressing