This post featuring Caribbean Inspired Turkey Quinoa Patties and Peach Zucchini Slaw is my contribution to Caribbean Food Week, #CFW2017 (August 21-28) organised by Grace Foods, who have kindly sent me a hamper of goodies, including delicious Caribbean sauces, spices and drinks. Enough to feed a crowd and have plenty leftover to use later. Thank you Grace Foods!
When preparing this post I considered making popular Caribbean recipes, but there are so many versions of these online that in the end I decided to create something a little different, something that would be perfect for Everyday Healthy Recipes, using delicious Caribbean flavours.
The ingredients (included in the hamper I received from Grace Foods) I chose to use in my recipe are marked with ‘*’.
Both the patties and the slaw are very easy to make and do not require too many ingredients. For the patties, if you cook the quinoa ahead (once it’s cooled pop it in the fridge until you are ready to use it) it literally takes minutes to combine all the ingredients and form the patties (here are some tips for making Homemade Breadcrumbs).
Making the slaw is a breeze – not only is spiralizing quicker than chopping (that’s always been my experience) but it also makes this simple slaw look gorgeous! I’ve added a mixture of peas and beans (I used Dunn’s River Peas & Beans*, see the Ingredients below) to my slaw to give it more substance as well as more of a Caribbean character.
I hope you enjoy my healthy Caribbean Inspired Turkey Quinoa Patties and Peach Zucchini Slaw. Any comments, questions, let me know:)
If you would like more information about Grace Foods or Caribbean Food Week here are some useful links:
20 minPrep Time
8 minCook Time
28 minTotal Time
- For the Patties:
- 450g turkey mince
- 1 cup cooked quinoa (chilled)
- 3 teaspoons Dunn's River Hot Curry Powder*
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- Sea salt to taste
- 2-3 tablespoons breadcrumbs for coating
- Olive oil for frying
- For the Slaw:
- 1x400g Dunn's River Peas & Beans*, drained, rinsed under cold water
- 2 large peaches (ripe but firm), halved, deseeded, spiralized
- 1 medium zucchini, spiralized
- 2 green onions, finely chopped
- For the Salad Dressing:
- 1 and 1/3 tablespoon Encona Hot Pepper Sauce*
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil (I used cold pressed rapeseed oil)
- 1 small garlic clove, crushed
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 teaspoon honey
- Combine all the Salad Dressing ingredients, add half of the dressing to the peas/beans and mix together well. Set aside.
- Combine all the Patties ingredients, mix well (use the back of a spoon to do this) and form small patties approx. 2 cm thick (the mixture won't stick to your hands if you dampen them a little) . Coat the patties in the breadcrumbs. Set aside.
- To make the Slaw, combine the peach and zucchini, add the bean mixture over, drizzle with the rest of the dressing and scatter the onion over the top. Set aside.
- Heat up 2 tablespoons of oil and fry the patties over a medium/low heat for about 4 minutes on each side (add a little more oil if necessary after you've turned them over). Serve hot with a good helping of the slaw.
**This is not a sponsored post. All opinions are my own.