This Cauliflower Bulgur Wheat Casserole with Honey Chicken and Peaches is healthy, delicious and can feed a crowd, which makes it an ideal family recipe. Winner in the Best Blogger Recipe category at the British Poultry Awards 2017!
CAULIFLOWER BULGUR WHEAT CASSEROLE WITH HONEY CHICKEN AND PEACHES
A casserole is simple, delicious and can feed a crowd, making it an ideal, family friendly, easy dish. My Cauliflower Bulgur Wheat Casserole with Honey Chicken and Peaches is precisely such a dish.
Although this recipe involves using a pan as well as a casserole dish the final product is a one-pot meal. So you won’t have to make a salad or any other side dish!
Bulgur wheat casserole
I also wanted this dish to be satisfying yet light and healthy, perfect as a summer dish (it is July after all!). Which is why I used bulgur wheat.
Bulgur wheat is a very underrated ingredient, delicious, healthy and ready to eat in a matter of minutes. It only needs to be rehydrated rather than cooked. (See also my recipe for Stuffed Tomatoes with Bulgur Wheat and Tarragon). It is an extremely versatile ingredient, great in soups, salads, as a side dish or in casseroles!
The combination of bulgur, some basic spices and cauliflower, all coated in a semi-creamy zesty lemon sauce is an ideal base for the spicy, crispy honey chicken.
Healthy crispy chicken
Yes, the chicken is crispy!
Not only that, most of the fat from the skin is removed so this is a pretty low fat recipe. I also used single rather than double cream to keep the fat and calorie content down.
What I did was briefly fry the chicken first, then discard the fat, and finally coat the meat in the honey glaze. Then I quickly crisped it up again before adding it to the casserole and popping in the oven. This is a simple process and you’ll find more detailed Instructions below.
Chicken and peaches
This dish wouldn’t be complete without the sweet and juicy peaches scattered over the top. Coated in the remaining glaze mixture, they taste delicious and look very pretty, too!
Enjoy this healthy, family friendly Cauliflower Bulgur Wheat Casserole with Honey Chicken and Peaches straight from the oven. Scatter freshly chopped cilantro over the top, drizzle with a little olive oil and serve!
British Poultry Awards 2017 – Best Blogger Recipe
I am thrilled to announce that this recipe won this year’s Best Blogger Recipe category at the prestigious British Poultry Awards 2017 held in London!
I entered this recipe in the British Poultry & Red Tractor Recipe Challenge.
This year’s theme was ‘Family Friendly’. In addition to using British poultry, the recipe also had to include at least 3 non-meat Red Tractor approved ingredients. In this recipe my poultry of choice was chicken and I used the following 3 non-meat Red Tractor ingredients: cauliflower, single cream and fresh coriander (cilantro). They are marked with ‘*’ in the Ingredients section below.
You will find additional information about the competition as well as other Red Tractor products here:
*Red Tractor approved ingredients
You may also like this Spinach and Almond Stuffed Chicken Breast with Quinoa and Tomatoes. It was my 2018 British Poultry Awards entry.
Check out also my collection of 13 healthy, easy ope pot chicken recipes!
Cauliflower Bulgur Wheat Casserole with Honey Chicken and Peaches
- 4 chicken thighs British Poultry
- 1 cup raw bulgur wheat approx. 200g
- *½ large cauliflower chopped into small pieces
- 2 large semi-ripe peaches, deseeded, cut into 6 wedges each
- 2 garlic cloves finely chopped
- 1.5 tablespoons ginger finely chopped
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander
- 1 heaped tablespoon ground cumin
- *100 ml single cream
- 2/3 cup water i.e. a little less than 1 full cup
- Juice of 1 small lemon and zest of 1 large lemon
- Olive oil for frying and drizzling
- *6 tablespoons fresh coriander finely chopped
- Sea salt and pepper to taste
- For the honey glaze:
- 3 tablespoons runny honey
- 1.5 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon each: garlic powder onion granules, chilli flakes and ground ginger
- Prepare the glaze by combining all the ingredients in a medium bowl. Set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 400 F/ 200 C/ gas mark 6. You will need a large, 5-6 cm deep, casserole/oven dish.
- Heat up 2 tablespoons of oil, add the fresh ginger, garlic and onion, lower the heat and fry for 2 minutes stirring often. Add the ground coriander and cumin, stir and continue frying for another minute. Remove from the heat, add the cauliflower and stir thoroughly.
- Tip the mixture into the oven dish, add the bulgur wheat and season generously. Stir.
- Season the chicken. Using the same frying pan (you don't need to wash it) heat up 2 tablespoons of oil and fry the chicken for 2 minutes on each side (skin side first) over a fairly high heat. Place the chicken on a plate and discard the fat from the frying pan. Heat up the pan again, add 1 tablespoon of oil, dip each chicken piece in the honey glaze (save the remaining glaze for later) and fry over a medium/low heat for 2 minutes on each side (or until the skin side is lightly coloured). Remove from the heat.
- Pour the cream, water and lemon juice over the bulgur mixture, add the lemon zest and stir to combine. Place the chicken pieces (skin side up) on top, pressing gently, drizzle a little oil over the whole thing and bake for 20 minutes (remove the sticky honey from the pan but don't rinse it).
- After the chicken has been in the oven for 15 minutes toss the peaches into the remaining glaze, coat evenly and fry over a high heat for about 4 minutes, turning often (if there is a little leftover oil in the pan don't add any). Take the casserole dish out of the oven, nestle the peaches in-between the chicken (together with the juice from frying, if any) and continue baking for 5-10 more minutes (until the chicken turns a nice brown colour). Ensure the chicken is cooked thoroughly before serving (the total baking time is 25-30 minutes)
- Scatter the fresh coriander over the casserole, drizzle with a little oil (this is optional) and serve immediately.
Pin Cauliflower Bulgur Wheat Casserole with Honey Chicken and Peaches
KEEP IN TOUCH!
RECIPE LINK PARTIES
I am bringing this recipe to #CookBlogShare, hosted this week by Eb@Easy Peasy Foodie.