These healthy, delicious cauliflower patties are made using cauliflower rice and a moderate amount of cheese (plus a few extra ingredients to help bind the mixture). All you need is a blender and about 20 minutes of your time!
Today I am sharing a super speedy, healthy and delicious recipe for cauliflower patties with cheese.
Of all the cruciferous vegetables broccoli is usually my preferred choice. This is partly because it is famous for being super healthy and also because I just love green coloured foods. I find cauliflower more tricky to cook as it is tougher and I simply haven’t perfected the art of cooking it! So in this recipe I decided to use it raw.
How to prepare the cauliflower for cauliflower patties
These neat little cauliflower patties are SO easy to make! You’ll need 10 minutes for preparation and another 10 for frying.
Cauliflower rice is made simply by blitzing chopped cauliflower in a blender until crumbly. This is easy to do but make sure you don’t overblend the mixture and turn it into a paste. I blended the cauliflower with the garlic and cilantro to ensure the flavour was evenly distributed. If you have a small blender it’s best to make the cauliflower rice in batches.
This cauliflower cakes recipe is quick and easy to make but you can save even more time if you prepare the cauliflower rice ahead. Keep it covered in the fridge overnight and make the patties the next day.
How to make cauliflower cheese patties
Combine the cauliflower rice with the rest of the ingredients (save some of the breadcrumbs for coating and the oil for frying). Blitz the mixture briefly again until it becomes sticky. The mixture is blended twice to allow all the ingredients to bind together and form a thick paste that’s easy to work with. Form small patties and coat them in breadcrumbs. Fry in a little oil over a medium heat for approximately 2 minutes on each side. Serve immediately.
Can you adapt cauliflower patties recipe
Yes, you can! These cauliflower rice cakes have a bit of a kick and mildly smoky flavour but you can use sweet paprika instead and adjust the heat to suit your preference. You might also like to use is a bit of your favourite curry powder. Or swap cilantro for parsley. Alternatively omit all spices and herbs and enjoy these cauliflower fritters simply.
What to serve with cauliflower cheese fritters
These savoury cauliflower cakes make a great alternative for potatoes or rice, or even salad! They are also a healthy and satisfying snack and you can enjoy them either hot or cold. They make ideal party food too! Delicious on their own, they can also be enjoyed with dips, such as homemade ranch dip, caesar vegan dressing or beetroot hummus.
More vegetarian patties recipes
Healthy Cauliflower Cheese Patties
- 1 small cauliflower roughly chopped, approx. 450 g
- 1 cup grated mature cheddar cheese or another strong cheese
- 4 tbsp cilantro, parsley or chives finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp each: fine sea salt and black, white or cayenne pepper
- 6 tbsp breadcrumbs
- 4-6 tbsp olive oil for frying
- In a blender process the cauliflower, garlic and cilantro to obtain a coarse, crumbly mixture (do not overblend). Work in batches if you have a small blender. Add the pepper, salt, cheese and 4 tablespoons of the breadcrumbs and blitz again until the mixture becomes sticky rather than crumbly (it should still be grainy, not mushy).
- Form small patties and coat in the remaining breadcrumbs.
- Heat up a little oil and shallow fry the patties over a medium heat for 2 minutes on each side. Avoid overcrowding the pan and work in batches if necessary. Enjoy hot or cold.
Pin Healthy Cauliflower Cakes with Cheese!
KEEP IN TOUCH!
RECIPE LINK PARTIES
I’m bringing healthy cauliflower patties recipe to Cook Once Eat Twice.