This nutritious roasted cauliflower tabbouleh salad with pomegranate recipe is naturally gluten free and vegan. It is a deliciously tangy, fruity salad, great with all sorts of dishes, Middle Eastern and beyond.
This cauliflower tabbouleh with a twist is so simple to make and delicious it is ideal for entertaining. The cauliflower needs to be blitzed and then baked but this is quick and easy to do. Roasting the cauliflower releases more flavour and since the cauliflower only needs 10 minutes in the oven it will still be crunchy. You can prepare the cauliflower ahead (which I strongly recommend especially as it needs to chill completely before being combined with the other ingredients). It will save you time when making the salad.
How to prep the cauliflower for cauliflower tabbouleh
Start by turning it into cauliflower rice.
Making cauliflower rice is super quick and easy. Simply cut your cauliflower into chunks (including the stalk) and blitz in a food processor to obtain a crumbly consistency. Use low speed and do this briefly so the cauliflower doesn’t turn into mush. It’s a good idea to do this in batches if your blender is not very big. And that’s all there is to it!
You can refrigerate your cauliflower rice in an air tight container for up to a couple of days.
Equipment you’ll need
- Large oven tray and spatula
- Cutting board and knife
- Medium sized bowl and spoon
How to roast cauliflower rice for cauliflower tabbouleh salad
This is also quick and easy to do. Simply spread the cauliflower crumbs on top of a large tray (see above), season and drizzle with a little oil. Bake in a preheated oven for 10 minutes. Leave to cool before combining with the rest of the ingredients.
Cauliflower is the star of this salad so I used less herbs than would usually be used in a traditional tabbouleh. I didn’t want the herbs to overpower the cauliflower but you can adjust the amounts according to your preference.
I think that cauliflower and pomegranate make a particularly good pairing, one I have used (and loved!) in another recipe I published a while ago. This easy, delicious Cauliflower Pomegranate Salad with Yogurt Dressing. I think the tangy sweetness of the pomegranate beautifully complements the mild and nutty flavour of the cauliflower.
More cauliflower rice recipes
There are lots of advantages to using cauliflower rice. First of all, it is ready in seconds. Also, it is gluten free, which makes it ideal to use in place of couscous, rice or bulgur wheat in many recipes. Another great thing about it is that you can be enjoy it raw or roasted. So it’s super versatile. Check out these other cauliflower rice recipes:
See also this collection of 15+ easy vegan salads for even more salad inspiration!
KEEP IN TOUCH!
How has your cauliflower tabbouleh turned out for you? Let me know in the comments below, thanks!
Roasted Cauliflower Tabbouleh Salad with Pomegranate
- 1 small cauliflower roughly chopped,approx. 400g
- 3 twigs fresh mint, leaves only finely chopped
- 1 handful fresh parsly finely chopped, approx. 10 g
- 2 green onions finely chopped
- 1 pomegranate
- 1 small garlic clove grated/crushed
- 4 tbsp vegetable oil good quality
- 3 tbsp lemon juice
- zest of 1 lemon
- sea salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 425 F/ 220 C/ gas mark 7. You will need a large baking tray.
- Blitz the cauliflower in a blender on low speed for a few seconds until crumbly (not too fine or mushy) - do this step in batches if you have a small blender. Tip the cauliflower crumbs onto the baking tray, spread out evenly, season and drizzle with 2 tablespoons of the oil. Bake on the upper shelf of the oven for 10 minutes. Remove from the oven and leave to cool completely.
- While the cauliflower is in the over prepare the other ingredients. To make the dressing, In a small bowl combine the zest and lemon juice, remaining oil and garlic, stir and set aside.
- In a large bowl combine the cauliflower (once cooled), parsley, mint, green onions and pomegranate seeds, drizzle the dressing over the whole thing, season to taste, stir and serve (if possible refrigerate for 30 minutes before serving).