This healthy Roasted Celery Root Dip with Horseradish is sweet and tangy, and super easy to make. Perfect for entertaining!
ROASTED CELERY ROOT RECIPE
I am a huge fan of root vegetables (see my Roasted Root Vegetable Soup) and today I am sharing this Roasted Celery Root Dip with Horseradish recipe. The more I cook with root vegetables the more I realise how versatile they are. Celery root (celeriac) is round and grey, with knots and wiry bits sticking out all over, so not exactly pretty and appealing. I suspect this is one of the reasons we don’t buy it very often (myself included). The result is that celery root is underrated and not understood. Because in reality it is a beautiful and delicious vegetable, good enough to be the star ingredient in any dish.
Even a dip.
Dip recipes are usually full of goodness and simple to make. This roasted celeriac recipe is no exception. Roasting vegetables is a simple process, definitely worth doing, especially when it comes to root vegetables. Roasting releases their sweetness and richness of flavour, something other cooking methods can’t do as well. Once the celery root is roasted all that is left to do is combine all the ingredients and make a smooth puree. Horseradish, another underrated root vegetable, complements celery root really well, adding sharpness without making the dip spicy. Initially I was going to use fresh horseradish but decided against it in the end as it’s very hard to find. Horseradish sauce is a convenient alternative.
If you love roasted celeriac recipes you might like this Maple Glazed Celery Root Salad with Apple and Pecans. It’s another fantastic autumnal recipe idea. Also, did you know that celery root can be spiralized? Check out my easy Root Vegetable Nests recipe!
This celeriac dip can be enjoyed with raw vegetable sticks, pita bread, crackers or with roasted squash, as in the photographs (that was mainly for decoration though). It can also be served hot, as a side dish, instead of mashed potatoes for example. I will have mine with lightly breaded chicken for dinner tonight. I need to leave room for dessert on this sweetest of nights! Happy Halloween!
You may also like these other healthy dip recipes:
If you make this roasted celery root dip recipe I’d love to know how it turned out for you! Please let me know in the comment section, thanks!
Roasted Celery Root Dip with Horseradish
- 1/2 large celery root peeled, cubed
- 1 and 1/3 tablespoons horseradish sauce
- 5 tablespoons natural yogurt
- 2 tablespoons olive oil plus a little more for drizzling
- 1 and 1/2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/2 tablespoon honey
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 400 F/ 200 C/ gas mark 6. Tip the celery root pieces into a baking tray, season, drizzle with a bit of olive oil and bake for about 40 minutes, turning occasionally. Remove from the oven a allow to cool a little.
- Combine the celery root with the rest of the ingredients and puree until the mixture is smooth (don't forget to season).
- If you'd like to serve this dip inside a squash (see the photographs) slice the squash horizontally, remove the seeds, season and drizzle with oil, and bake (open side up) in a preheated oven for about 30 minutes (or a little longer if the vegetable has a thick rind). Serve hot or cold.
Pin this Roasted Celery Root Dip with Horseradish recipe!
More easy party food ideas
If you like this recipe you might enjoy these other healthy, delicious Party Food recipe ideas. The collection includes finger foods, hot and cold snacks, dips, both sweet and savoury, perfect for any occasion.
KEEP IN TOUCH!
RECIPE LINK PARTIES
I am bringing this delicious, aromatic Roasted Celery Root Dip with Horseradish to #CookBlogShare. This week’s host is Recipes Made Easy.